Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Decent restaurants in and around town?

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

Anyone mentioned Hammer and Pincers yet? (imagine Wymsey has...)

As someone living in Nottingham that's on the border so quite easy to get to.

Had the tasting menu last time, excellent!

Going next weekend for a birthday meal in actual fact.

Haven't been for a couple of years, but the general views of others that have been are that the food standard quality is often excellent and decent service, but is quite pricey (although that restaurant isn't really one you'd go to regularly after work etc; the other two pubs in the village are more casual if you want to go and have a quick grub meal more regularly).

The Three Crowns has received rave reviews since a couple of the England cricketers purchased it. It looks much more different and appealing since the previous owners there left and it's all been refurbished.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

22 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Going next weekend for a birthday meal in actual fact.

Haven't been for a couple of years, but the general views of others that have been are that the food standard quality is often excellent and decent service, but is quite pricey (although that restaurant isn't really one you'd go to regularly after work etc; the other two pubs in the village are more casual if you want to go and have a quick grub meal more regularly).

The Three Crowns has received rave reviews since a couple of the England cricketers purchased it. It looks much more different and appealing since the previous owners there left and it's all been refurbished.

You'll love it mate, went for my Birthday last year. Like you say really nice staff. 

Food was great and not what you'd expect in what is essentially a converted pub.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Simi said:

Yeah it is. Same couple running it, lovely people too.

Keep saying we must try it, Son's the chef isn't he? What's the food like, find the star a little to up market if you know what I mean, cost loads, don't get a lot, always leave feeling the need for a kebab or something lol have to say the staff in the star since they left leave a little to be desired when it comes to service as well, great pub, but apart from the new manager the young lads and lasses behind the bar, need a rocket up the you know where sometimes.

52 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

Keep saying we must try it, Son's the chef isn't he? What's the food like, find the star a little to up market if you know what I mean, cost loads, don't get a lot, always leave feeling the need for a kebab or something lol have to say the staff in the star since they left leave a little to be desired when it comes to service as well, great pub, but apart from the new manager the young lads and lasses behind the bar, need a rocket up the you know where sometimes.

Yeah he is. Food was great. We had steak & ale pie served with garlic roasted potatoes and veg. Then had poached pear and shortbread crumble for desert. 

Pie menu changes every week I believe so reason to return. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Simi said:

Yeah he is. Food was great. We had steak & ale pie served with garlic roasted potatoes and veg. Then had poached pear and shortbread crumble for desert. 

Pie menu changes every week I believe so reason to return. 

What night was this? was it busy, i know the cheaney arms pie night is really popular and gets booked up weeks in advance, this maybe a decent alternative.

12 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

What night was this? was it busy, i know the cheaney arms pie night is really popular and gets booked up weeks in advance, this maybe a decent alternative.

We booked on Thursday for the Tuesday, which is pie night. Our table was at 6pm and it wasn't that busy. But then filled up around 8.

• Like 1

On 15/11/2017 at 15:00, AjcW said:

You'll love it mate, went for my Birthday last year. Like you say really nice staff. 

Food was great and not what you'd expect in what is essentially a converted pub.

@AjcW, I went to The Hammer and Pincer's earlier for my Father's 60th party (only got told it was today yesterday, as thought it was going to be next weekend instead).

Can't fault the business; attentive staff, good service, and the meats etc can't be recommended enough. Perhaps is worth the pricey cost of dining there.

• Like 1

Sapori in Anstey. Went there on Tuesday night and it was brilliant. Nice atmosphere, a bar attached that looked good and the food on this my first visit was better than anywhere else in Leicestershire.

Halibut - the best piece I have had outside of coastal resorts and London. Cooked to perfection.

I have heard it’s not amazing, but for me on Tuesday it was in every way.

2 hours ago, Rob1742 said:

Sapori in Anstey. Went there on Tuesday night and it was brilliant. Nice atmosphere, a bar attached that looked good and the food on this my first visit was better than anywhere else in Leicestershire.

Halibut - the best piece I have had outside of coastal resorts and London. Cooked to perfection.

That the place Benalouane seems to have something to do with?

On 20/11/2017 at 08:09, Rob1742 said:

If you like really well cooked, well presented food, Sapori is probably the best restaurant in the county.

As I have eaten out two / three times a week in Leicestershire for 20 years, I haven't found anywhere consistently better. 

Me and the missus were in town last night and went in Fernandez Grill on a whim (knew nothing about the place)

Fvck me, that was easily amongst the worst meals I've ever had. Absolutely terrible, can't believe they are in business serving up that shit

• Like 1