Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

The Isometric PC CRPG Thread.

Started playing Pillars of Eternity a few weeks back. Got to the stronghold I think. Playing on Hard difficulty though, so it's been slow progress. Coupled with the fact that my party doesn't seem very balanced (I only actually have one "melee" guy - I have 2 mages, a rogue/archer type, the priest and the chanter guy) it's taking me a while.

Sadly, not touched it since the easter holidays, and probably wont get time to play it until Summer now.

It's not an easy game and with only one melee character, you could struggle a bit later on.

It's fairly easy to push your rogue toward a strong melee build if desired.

Well my Rogue is the one character that I "hired" (created) from the Inn, so I have no qualms about getting rid of her. Just waiting for another Melee NPC to turn up to add to my party - so far I've taken every one that I've met.

Edited by Charl91

VERY SMALL SPOILER:

thereisntaroguecompanionstorynpc.

Rogues are devastating though. So are ciphers, though you'll find one of them. Only two characters I'd not go without are Durance and Eder, unless your own ccharacter is a priest or tank, oherwise have fun.

The game is challenging but it can be completed with most combinations.

Not quite.

Literally identical game play to Baldurs Gate 2 / Icewind Dale 2 except the melee characters are far more fun to play and they've toned down wizards so you can't solo the game with one on hard haha. Or even on normal, tbh.

You'll get the usual internet heroes claiming they easily solo'd it but it can't really be done comfortably without cheating.

VERY SMALL SPOILER:

thereisntaroguecompanionstorynpc.

Rogues are devastating though. So are ciphers, though you'll find one of them. Only two characters I'd not go without are Durance and Eder, unless your own ccharacter is a priest or tank, oherwise have fun.

The game is challenging but it can be completed with most combinations.

No rogue? I'm surprised. Roughly how many NPC's are there? Surprised I haven't come across more to be honest. Have both Eder and Durance - both pretty useful. Especially Eder, who is pretty much carrying the team.

No rogue? I'm surprised. Roughly how many NPC's are there? Surprised I haven't come across more to be honest. Have both Eder and Durance - both pretty useful. Especially Eder, who is pretty much carrying the team.

I find Durance much more useful not that I'd say anyone is carrying the group.

Information about companions, not story related really:

If memory serves there are eight overal. If you've got Eder then you've possibly already missed the first, Aloth, an elf mage.

There's a ranger, chanter, cypher, fighter, paladin, wizard, priest and druid.

Edited by Finnegan

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The first Pillars of Eternity expansion is due next week. It's going to have a lot of new content, they're passionate about making it a real, old school expansion with real value for money. I backed enough to pay for it when it was crowd funding so I can't tell you how much it'll be if you didn't but I'd imagine between fifteen and twenty quid.

As well as a whole new story (both save game compatible for complete saves and half-way-through characters) it's also going to have a Baldurs Gate style super dungeon for high level characters and there's two new companions.

First companion is a drugged up monk and the other is a construct rogue that sounds interesting. I'm tempted to start a new cypher character to play it all through as.

Also out yesterday was the third installment or the Shadowrun series, Hong Kong, the glossiest and "chunkiest" title in the series to date. On steam for fifteen quid. Anyone played any of the other Shadowrun games?

• 1 year later...

Finally got round to Pillars of Eternity (it was on sale for £13). Really takes me back and needed to get used to the style again. Initially I was just wading in, but after many deaths I remembered the old ways - pause frequently, get your priest casting defensive spells, scout ahead, don't run around drawing aggro - I have just completed act one. Loving it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Finally got round to Pillars of Eternity (it was on sale for £13). Really takes me back and needed to get used to the style again. Initially I was just wading in, but after many deaths I remembered the old ways - pause frequently, get your priest casting defensive spells, scout ahead, don't run around drawing aggro - I have just completed act one. Loving it.

Glad you're enjoying it Trav, I thought you would.

Have you got the expansions? They're worth picking up as you play as they're side tracks to the main story as opposed to a follow on, which is a bit weird. You want to start them around lvl 7 to 10ish.

There's a new pcrpg in the pipeline that's a direct consequence of the success of PoE. Same studio with the help of Paradox (the people behind Europa Universalis and Hearts of Iron) called Tyranny.

Looks like it'll function similar to PoE in combat but the premise is very different. You're on the evil side, as agents of an evil empire. Different.

• 1 month later...

Just finished Pillars of Eternity. The final battle was a dozy! Only Eder left standing (and that on my 4th attempt.) I guess the choices you make affect the final narrative, which is nice. I also quite like how it is practically a dichotomy to Baldur's Gate... which I hope isn't giving too much away. :ph34r: (Can't find the spoiler's option.)

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Like 1

Meh, I liked him.

Just restarted Planescape Torment again, all modded up with higher, widescreen res and all the bugs fixed - I had to quit the last time I played as there's a nasty bug that makes the Modron Cube impossible to complete and that's quite a way into the game!

• 2 weeks later...