Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

The Isometric PC CRPG Thread.

lol the few dragons in Pillars are immensely hard encounters to be fair. 

I think only one is essential to the plot and I have a feeling you can do it diplomatically, if memory serves. 

The one under Caed Nua is harsh af. 

If you found Planescape Torment wordy you'll not enjoy the new one. It's basically just reading obscure text and some janky graphics for hours on a new. Actual game play is very minimal. 

If you want to play another iso pcrpg I can't recommend Wasteland 2 enough as one of the best in the genre. 

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

If you want to play another iso pcrpg I can't recommend Wasteland 2 enough as one of the best in the genre. 

OK. Think I'll give Torment 2 a miss. I still haven't fully recovered from those endless bloody existentialist conversations with Dagon and his otherworldly use of the asterisk (I think he was called Dagon).  I played Wasteland 2. Very good, though if I'm honest as a genre I prefer high fantasy rather than post apocalyptic. I've had Blackguards 2 sitting in my Steam account for an age. Maybe I'll save my money and actually try playing the stuff I've previously bought in a 'sale' then just left it mouldering in my account.

12 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Anyone tried For the King?

I saw it on Steam a while back, but was put off a bit by the reviews. While generally quite positive, they suggested there was quite a lot of luck involved in the game. I don't mind a bit of luck, but when progress in the game hinges on RNG (especially when coupled with perma-death) then my inner rage finds it all a bit too much. Still, the graphics seem appealing, and the price is low (even lower at the moment as it's on the Steam sale.

1 hour ago, Uranyl Yellow said:

I saw it on Steam a while back, but was put off a bit by the reviews. While generally quite positive, they suggested there was quite a lot of luck involved in the game. I don't mind a bit of luck, but when progress in the game hinges on RNG (especially when coupled with perma-death) then my inner rage finds it all a bit too much. Still, the graphics seem appealing, and the price is low (even lower at the moment as it's on the Steam sale.

Yeah I see the RNG issue but it works both ways and sometimes you're saved by a lucky dodge.  Gave it a go last night, first impression is it's one of those easy to learn difficult to master games.  It plays like a stripped back crpg with hints of the earlier heroes of might and magic games. Didn't get too far in the couple of play throughs I attempted last night even on the lowest difficulty but each game will land you some lore books which can be spent between games to unlock new classes/power ups etc so there's definitely scope for going back in bigger and better and more clued up which is how a good rogue like should be.

Wouldn't call it a must buy based on what little I've seen but certainly something new and interesting if you're looking for a light time sink and the price appeals.

27 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Yeah I see the RNG issue but it works both ways and sometimes you're saved by a lucky dodge.  Gave it a go last night, first impression is it's one of those easy to learn difficult to master games.  It plays like a stripped back crpg with hints of the earlier heroes of might and magic games. Didn't get too far in the couple of play throughs I attempted last night even on the lowest difficulty but each game will land you some lore books which can be spent between games to unlock new classes/power ups etc so there's definitely scope for going back in bigger and better and more clued up which is how a good rogue like should be.

Wouldn't call it a must buy based on what little I've seen but certainly something new and interesting if you're looking for a light time sink and the price appeals.

Given the price I might give it a look, though I suspect it's probably one of those games that doesn't suit my mentality. I like to create a character/party and stick with it gradually improving their skills to suit. People raved about Darkest Dungeon, but I hated it. Having to deal with the constant influx of new characters to replace those that died, and having to deal with all those bullshit neurosis they developed drove my brain to the point of bonkersnessness.

4 hours ago, Uranyl Yellow said:

Given the price I might give it a look, though I suspect it's probably one of those games that doesn't suit my mentality. I like to create a character/party and stick with it gradually improving their skills to suit. People raved about Darkest Dungeon, but I hated it. Having to deal with the constant influx of new characters to replace those that died, and having to deal with all those bullshit neurosis they developed drove my brain to the point of bonkersnessness.

To be fair you can play as if it's always the same person if you like.  There's almost no character customisation, all you do is choose the class of your 3 characters and the colour of their skins, each class only having one model.  They are for all intents and purposes blank slates.

After further time playing it I've revised my opinion and honestly I can't recommend the game in its current form.  After I last spoke about it I've been back to the game a few times and it's actually very easy to shithouse and the combat tactics are actually quite monotonous.  Travelling the world becomes a bit of a chore too because your characters all have different speeds which are also subject to dice rolls at the start of each turn so you often end up with character 1 travelling 8 hexes while characters 2 & 3 roll a 3 which becomes especially irritating if you're trying to get them all to a specific tile for a key event and there's a lot of ground to cover to reach it.  At least when you get a boat then your character's movement also moves the other 2 which makes seafaring the best way to get around but then you have to deal with the annoyingly frequent whirlpools.  I like the overall idea of the game but I can't honestly call it fun in its current state.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone played Lords of Xulima?  It's on sale at the moment and I'm thinking of dropping for it.  Also looking at Planescape Torment or Baldur's Gate for a more old school experience, wasn't big on RPGs when those games came out so they passed me by.

Oh and Pillars of Eternity too.  Decisions decisions...

Edited by Carl the Llama

2 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Anyone played Lords of Xulima?  It's on sale at the moment and I'm thinking of dropping for it.  Also looking at Planescape Torment or Baldur's Gate for a more old school experience, wasn't big on RPGs when those games came out so they passed me by.

I played Lords of Xulima a while back. Can't remember it being exceptional in any way, but it was entertaining enough for a while. Reminded me a (little) bit of an inferior version of King's Bounty.

19 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

You really can't be in this thread without playing baldurs gate I'm sorry Carl that's shameful. 

All of these games are basically inspired by BG. Get on it immediately. 

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

You really can't be in this thread without playing baldurs gate I'm sorry Carl that's shameful. 

All of these games are basically inspired by BG. Get on it immediately. 

Will do eventually, it's on my list but I've just started pillars which took priority seeing as it was on sale so that's me sorted for crpg goodness for a few weeks.

54 minutes ago, Uranyl Yellow said:

Shadowrun Returns currently on Steam sale. The reviews seem to be generally positive. Only a couple of quid so I might give it a punt.

Get it, get Dragonfall and Hong Kong too while you're at it, great little games.

1 hour ago, Uranyl Yellow said:

Shadowrun Returns currently on Steam sale. The reviews seem to be generally positive. Only a couple of quid so I might give it a punt.

Expanding on the above: If you like games where your class (and that of your crew members) genuinely alters how you approach missions this is the game for you.  If you like games with genuinely interesting npcs that you actually care about and where saying the right/wrong thing affects the storyline and your allies' attitudes (more so in Dragonfall and HK than returns) this is the game for you.  If you like turn and cover-based combat in the style of xcom (xcombat?) this is the game for you.  If you like games with a sci-fi vibe this is the game for you.  If you like games with a steam-punk vibe this is the game for you.  If you like games with a fantasy vibe this is still the game for you.  Just buy it already ya douche and make sure to play in the order of Returns - Dragonfall - Hong Kong because each subsequent game improves upon the last and you don't want to go from HK to Returns and find yourself missing mechanics that you previously relied on.  Oh and in case it wasn't obvious get the extended cut/director's edition of the games where applicable.

Edited by Carl the Llama

46 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Don't get Returns and Dragonfall, just get Dragonfall and HK. 

Iirc, Dragonfall is like a re-packaged version of Returns with some mistakes ironed out. 

Sacrilege, get them all.  Returns isn't as polished but being relatively short it won't take you long to get through and the campaign is enjoyable and a good intro to the unique world of Shadowrun.  Dragonfall was initially released as an extension to Returns but got re-released as a standalone with mistakes ironed out like Fin says but I'm 90% sure that it doesn't come with Dead Man's Switch (the Returns campaign storyline) and missing out on that would be a shame.  I stand by the last 2 sentences of my post above about play order and title versions.

Besides for a few quid each what have you really got to lose?

56 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

What is that article? "Erm it's a game and it might be good but it might not be". lol Checked out the steam page for it and it's got a pretty decent list of credentials, definitely one for future sales like Pillars was.