Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
AKCJ

Mobile Phones

On 9/15/2017 at 20:03, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Absolutely ridiculous that they get away with that. Paying over 30% more for the same thing

Samsung are better but more importantly iPhone doesn't really do anything more than any bog standard Android phone for a quarter of the price does, people are just obsessed with the brand, and the complete myth that iPhone is more user-friendly in some way

They're also fragile as fvck. Missus smashed her iPhone screen dropping it from a low height. I've got a Moto G4, dropped loads of times, no screen protector and there's not a mark on it. I even knocked a pint glass of water on it the other day and no damage - it's not even supposed to be splash proof

I'm very much an android person. All of my phones in the last few years have been Android and have never considered buying an Iphone. But a few months ago, my company gave me a Iphone 6s. Initially sceptical, I've grown to like it and tend to reach for it first. My HTC is, in fairness, a couple of years old but is slow to do just about everything - make calls, take photos, use apps whereas the iphone does EVERYTHING first time.

I'm gonna need to upgrade the HTC soon as it has about had it's day and until this year another Android would have been a shoe-in but now i'm not so sure!

Androids (Specifically Samsung) are miles better. Anyone who disagree's clearly hasn't looked at the specs.

Apple products are a brand. They make their sales by mass marketing where Samsung do by innovation and design. They might look "cooler" but that's it. Spec-wise they lag behind pretty much every time.

At work yesterday I overheard one of the apprentices say "yeah, I'm a techy person". Mate, you own an iPhone and a Macbook that cost over £1000. My Dell Inspiron had better specs and cost me £400 ffs.

Edited by Adster

I've got an iPhone 6 and it's reliable, easy to use that has a great battery life. Able to do everything I want on it.

Cost me about £200 second hand, been dropped countless times without breaking.

Used to be full on with the anti-Apple thing but my iPad and iPhone are superb.

Guest seanfox778

I swapped Apple for a Samsung s7 edge last year when my contract was up and I couldn't believe how much I prefer Android over Apple now. Would never get an iPhone again now. 

So, my HTC has finally deteriorated to the point that I cannot be arsed with it any more. I have just over a month left on my Contract (Sim Only, £9/month with Three).

Quite fancy the Galaxy S7 Edge as a replacement and seen it on mobilephonesdirect.co.uk for £26/month, again with Three for 4GB data, Unlimited minutes etc, no cost for the handset.

Phone Three and they could only offer me the same for £42/month. So it seems my best option is to cancel my existing Three deal and pay off the £13 I owe them and then take out a new Three contract with mobilesphonesdirect. But Three say I won’t need a PAC code, but it will take 30 days to “end” my contract and then they can transfer the number? I suppose in the meantime, I could just swap the sim from my current phone to the new one?

Thoughts? Help?

2 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

So, my HTC has finally deteriorated to the point that I cannot be arsed with it any more. I have just over a month left on my Contract (Sim Only, £9/month with Three).

Quite fancy the Galaxy S7 Edge as a replacement and seen it on mobilephonesdirect.co.uk for £26/month, again with Three for 4GB data, Unlimited minutes etc, no cost for the handset.

Phone Three and they could only offer me the same for £42/month. So it seems my best option is to cancel my existing Three deal and pay off the £13 I owe them and then take out a new Three contract with mobilesphonesdirect. But Three say I won’t need a PAC code, but it will take 30 days to “end” my contract and then they can transfer the number? I suppose in the meantime, I could just swap the sim from my current phone to the new one?

Thoughts? Help?

It only takes 24hrs at most to swap the numbers so, as you say use your current sim until it switches.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Strokes said:

It only takes 24hrs at most to swap the numbers so, as you say use your current sim until it switches.

Thanks. Apparently they can't issue a PAC code for the same network. It's not that I'm desperate to stay with Three but the signal is ok where I live, and the offer is cheapest on Three. I guess if I was going to EE for example I'd just pay up what I owe Three and they'd give me a code, right?

5 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

Thanks. Apparently they can't issue a PAC code for the same network. It's not that I'm desperate to stay with Three but the signal is ok where I live, and the offer is cheapest on Three. I guess if I was going to EE for example I'd just pay up what I owe Three and they'd give me a code, right?

They must be able to transfer the number, they just probably don't need a PAC code to do it. I'd ask to speak to someone with an IQ that goes into double figures.

Are these online third party sellers ok? 

8 minutes ago, Strokes said:

They must be able to transfer the number, they just probably don't need a PAC code to do it. I'd ask to speak to someone with an IQ that goes into double figures.

They're a bit of a nightmare to deal with. Call centre is India based I think and although they try their best, they are all clearly reading from the same script and don't actually listen to your questions!

On 19/09/2017 at 11:24, Adster said:

Androids (Specifically Samsung) are miles better. Anyone who disagree's clearly hasn't looked at the specs.

Apple products are a brand. They make their sales by mass marketing where Samsung do by innovation and design. They might look "cooler" but that's it. Spec-wise they lag behind pretty much every time.

At work yesterday I overheard one of the apprentices say "yeah, I'm a techy person". Mate, you own an iPhone and a Macbook that cost over £1000. My Dell Inspiron had better specs and cost me £400 ffs.

That's not really too true anymore, the processor in the new ones have laptop i5 levels of performance and wipe the floor with even the Note 8. The cameras are also top notch now, particularly on the plus models.

In fairness I think there is generally not a need for phones to have the amount of power they do have, but that particular argument against iPhones is no longer valid. They're still insanely expensive, but Apple are clearly doing something right because people still flock to buy them even at those prices.

1 hour ago, stripeyfox said:

Are these online third party sellers ok? 

They're a bit of a nightmare to deal with. Call centre is India based I think and although they try their best, they are all clearly reading from the same script and don't actually listen to your questions!

I've no idea on third party sellers, I've always purchased my phone outright and got monthly sim only deals direct.

Been a big fan of Apple for years, but it's been clear for about two years now, that the hype is over.

On one hand, the saturation on the market works against all makers, which means it's harder to sell a new phone to customers who already have one.

Secondly, the technological advances have become smaller and smaller with each new year/model. This leads to less interest in the new product. Why swap your current one for the latest version when you pretty much have it all already?

The only way to sell new iPhones is by offering one gadget the other phones don't have.

Charging people a small fortune for the iPhone X is Apple's way of testing the market, see how far they can go.

Personally, I'd much rather Apple focused on making what they've got better. I'm still longing for a new iPhone that offers battery life for 2+ days. Can do without all the other gimmicks.

Just now, purpleronnie said:

Can I ask as a complete simpleton when it comes to mobile phones.  Why are people so obsessed about getting the latest model?  Don't they all do the same thing?

It's the herd impulse, trying to belong to a group of a selected few. Then the fact that phones act as status symbols for some, so only the newest and biggest is good enough.

Bit like fancy cars, albeit on a different level.

• Like 2

On 22/09/2017 at 15:25, purpleronnie said:

Can I ask as a complete simpleton when it comes to mobile phones.  Why are people so obsessed about getting the latest model?  Don't they all do the same thing?

Could say the same thing about vagina but i think you'd beg to differ lol.

We tend to desire new things. I used to care about newer things but then i got married and had 2 kids. Now my days consist of my son attempting to sniff his crap from the bog roll he just used (after a shower 10 minutes earlier) and then dropping  it on his chest and needing another bath. 

I got  more problems then to worry about the latest icrap or samsung s-bollocks.

Grumpy old man bed time now.

lol

4 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Could say the same thing about vagina but i think you'd beg to differ lol.

We tend to desire new things. I used to care about newer things but then i got married and had 2 kids. Now my days consist of my son attempting to sniff his crap from the bog roll he just used (after a shower 10 minutes earlier) and then dropping  it on his chest and needing another bath

I got  more problems then to worry about the latest icrap or samsung s-bollocks.

Grumpy old man bed time now.

lol

teenagers can be difficult, but they'll eventually grow out of it.

3 hours ago, winchesterton said:

teenagers can be difficult, but they'll eventually grow out of it.

lol he is 4.5 . Definitely  a handful.

I have an s5 that is stil going but seems to get slower as time goes on. Had the phone for about 3.5 years now so getting good use of it. Dont get me wrong the new s8 looks great but dont know i want to shell out that much money for it. Probably will wait till this one dies and decide whats next.  With my kids i need a strong phone put into an otter box case that can survive drops. It also has to take the best photos on the planet as im alwayd taking pics of the kids etc. Who carries cameras these days? 

Edited by Jattdogg

My Samsung S7 edge decided to crash Friday night on the dreaded blank black screen, tried all the troubleshooting that was suggested online, but nothing worked. Spoke to three Saturday morning who advised me that it's still under warranty and i should take it to my nearest Samsung shop and they would be able to repair it, took it Saturday afternoon only to be greeted by the most obnoxious woman ever, who then decided to say that it couldn't be fixed under warranty as on my home button a bit of paint has been chipped off due to wear and tear, she had the audacity to say that i had tried to remove the home button, so they couldn't fix it under my warranty, but if i paid £280 they could take a look.

Needless to say i wasn't prepared to pay that, and walked away, so now i'm left with a phone that doesn't work.

22 hours ago, Turbogre said:

My Samsung S7 edge decided to crash Friday night on the dreaded blank black screen, tried all the troubleshooting that was suggested online, but nothing worked. Spoke to three Saturday morning who advised me that it's still under warranty and i should take it to my nearest Samsung shop and they would be able to repair it, took it Saturday afternoon only to be greeted by the most obnoxious woman ever, who then decided to say that it couldn't be fixed under warranty as on my home button a bit of paint has been chipped off due to wear and tear, she had the audacity to say that i had tried to remove the home button, so they couldn't fix it under my warranty, but if i paid £280 they could take a look.

Needless to say i wasn't prepared to pay that, and walked away, so now i'm left with a phone that doesn't work.

Why do you need to take it to the Samsung shop? When mine breaks I take to the car

phone warehouse store and they fix it. Don't three do the same? 

I burnt out the motherboard on my note 4 from overclocking it, they repaired it free of charge.

Might be time to ditch three if they are bellends over it. £280 repair job is a joke from Samsung.  

4 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Why do you need to take it to the Samsung shop? When mine breaks I take to the car

phone warehouse store and they fix it. Don't three do the same? 

I burnt out the motherboard on my note 4 from overclocking it, they repaired it free of charge.

Might be time to ditch three if they are bellends over it. £280 repair job is a joke from Samsung.  

I was told by three to take it to the Samsung Shop.

I've since been back onto three to tell them my grievances and they have let me upgrade 5 months early free of charge to the Samsung S8 plus with no upfront costs and on the same tariff i was on before.

I'm still stuck with a S7 Edge that doesn't work and if i was to flog it wouldn't get nowhere near what it's worth.

30 minutes ago, Turbogre said:

I was told by three to take it to the Samsung Shop.

I've since been back onto three to tell them my grievances and they have let me upgrade 5 months early free of charge to the Samsung S8 plus with no upfront costs and on the same tariff i was on before.

I'm still stuck with a S7 Edge that doesn't work and if i was to flog it wouldn't get nowhere near what it's worth.

Ah. Well at least you have a phone that works now. Might be worth asking around the small mobile phone shops to see if you can get the s7 fixed for a reasonable price. 

Just now, Innovindil said:

Ah. Well at least you have a phone that works now. Might be worth asking around the small mobile phone shops to see if you can get the s7 fixed for a reasonable price. 

Yeah defiantly.

I've heard the shop in Malcolm Arcade in town is pretty reasonable so will take it to them, not sure how much i would get for the s7 fully working?