Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts' NFL Thread

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

Got my first set of tickets last Friday for both Wembley games. Excited now! Think I might stop up and watch the first game this Thursday too.

Anyone else going to the games this year?

Yup - I'll be at the two Wembley games again this year. Never bother with Twickenham purely because of the ball ache of getting there and back.

That's fair enough. Even though I've been watching NFL on and off for years, and this will be my 4th year in a row going to the games, I still don't have a favourite team that I support.

I initially chose the Steelers because of the comparative Wolves colours but I never really got that into them. I like the Seahawks and Cowboys too.

11 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

If the Cowboys ever come back to Wembley or Twickenham I'd go but I wouldn't go just to watch two teams I don't care about.

It's a good day out really and we've been treated to some cracking games over the last few years (and some horrendous ones too!)

I follow the Packers and if they ever come over then I'll move heaven and earth to get a ticket for that as the demand will be huge!! For now though, I'm happy just getting to watch some live NFL action and have adopted the Jags as "London's team" while they're here (although I kinda hope they don't relocate for the long term!)

The Yankees scored more runs yesterday in their baseball game than the combined points scored by the Giants and Jets yesterday. 

All across the NFL, the light load carried by top players in training camp meant Week 1 looked like Week 5 of preseason. I would hope this means less injuries and better football when Weeks 16 and 17 roll around, but there wasn't a whole lot to get excited about for the 15 games for which I was a "neutral" (besides the Pats getting beaten at home), and even less in a woeful performance by the Giants offense.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:03, The Bear said:

If anyone has the MySky app and you sign up for Sky VIP then they currently have some tickets left for Ravens v Jags for free.

You heard the farce with this? Apparently they didn't actually have tickets to give away and so have had to give out compensation to the people who "won them". Either sky sports for free for a year or £150 ticketmaster gift cards

I wanted to get tickets for Ravens/Jags as I'm a Ravens fan but having gone to M&T Bank for a game last year I was less fussed, and I didn't really fancy stumping up a tonne for what is essentially a neutral venue.

Good start to the season thus far, especially shutting out the Bengals. Our defence is going to do good things this year, but it's got to be the way our offence is going. We must be the Arsenal of the NFL health wise, we've got 15 on injured reserve already.

Losing Danny Whitehead for 8 weeks on the first series of regular season football was disappointing and losing Pro Bowl Guard Yanda for the whole season in game 2 is a massive blow as our O-line was already looking pretty makeshift.

You heard the farce with this? Apparently they didn't actually have tickets to give away and so have had to give out compensation to the people who "won them". Either sky sports for free for a year or £150 ticketmaster gift cards

I remember looking through the small print on there and they said that your seats weren't guaranteed as they over/double book in case people don't turn up.

That's not a bad compensation though.

London Brings Out The Best In The NFL’s Dregs

It’s no secret that the teams that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has sent have been overwhelmingly bad — and we aren’t just talking about the Jaguars. According to FiveThirtyEight’s pre-game Elo ratings, the harmonic mean of both teams’ ratings — a balanced measure of matchup quality that can better detect when both teams in a game are either good or bad — has been below average in 13 of the 17 games played in London. On top of that, all four games to be played in London this year will be below average, according to the team’s current Elo ratings.

NFL fans will generally tune in regardless of who is playing. So perhaps the NFL’s intention was that the consistently poor quality of opponents would be scratched out by competitive, exciting contests. If that’s the case, the plan is generally working.

Ten of the 17 games — or 59 percent — have been decided by one score. That might not sound so thrilling, but just 35 percent of all NFL games played since 2007 have been decided by 8 points or fewer. One of last year’s London games was so tightly matched, no one won it. (Fortunately for Cincinnati and Washington, they were playing in the one NFL location where fans are content with a tie.)

Low-quality games usually lead to drops in attendance toward the end of the season. Not in London, though. All but two games have attracted a crowd of more than 80,000, with the highest NFL London crowd at 84,488 — for last year’s tie at Wembley. To put that in context, that average draw would have been the second-highest home attendance of any team in the league last season (behind only the Dallas Cowboys).

As Goodell continues to push some of his most mediocre teams onto the international scene, it turns out that they’re rewarding fans with some of the league’s most competitive play.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/london-brings-out-the-best-in-the-nfls-dregs/