Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts' NFL Thread

Botched paperwork caps embarrassing two days for Browns

The Browns agreed to a trade with the Cincinnati Bengals for backup AJ McCarron that had them sending second- and third-round picks to the Bengals. Except the trade was not submitted on time. So the deal was not approved.

As for the paperwork, something stinks in Peoria. And Lakewood. And Cleveland Heights. And Berea. Sashi Brown is a former legal counsel. He handled paperwork and contracts and had to be aware of all league requirements. This is a Harvard-educated front office, for crying out loud. To have any kind of chaos on this trade, any kind of botched submission simply stinks in a skunk-ish kind of way. If the deal is completed at 3:55 p.m. and you like the deal, you do everything you have to do to make sure everything is submitted on time. That the Browns didn't is one more embarrassment on a pile of embarrassments that is starting to look like Mount Vesuvius.

The Bengals told cleveland.com on Tuesday that they submitted their paperwork, that they never received anything signed from the Browns and that the Browns didn't submit their paperwork. The website also reported that the Bengals copied the Browns on their submissions. On Wednesday, the Bengals told various news outlets it found an email from the Browns, but it arrived just before the deadline while they were filing their paperwork. The Browns never submitted paperwork on their own.

dejavu.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Excited for Detroit's thursday's thanksgiving game against Minnesota. If we can manage to hold off the vikings again, we'll only be a game back in the division with the head-to-head tiebreaker. 

The last Lions divisional title was in 1991... lol 

Coincidentally that was also our last playoff win. 

Unfortunately we may be without 3/4 of our starting defensive line, so the Vikings may very well destroy us.

1 minute ago, The Bear said:

Wilson is so good at it though! He barely needs an OL!

I fancy the Vikings on Thursday. Thielen is red hot at the minute. And Murray is coming good too.

this is like saying aaron rodgers is so good, he doesn't need a great o-line/WRs. for legacy, you need to have play-off success, and you can't do that with the QB carryng the whole team. just imagine rodgers or russell in that eagles team! or imagine giving aaron a julio or an AB with a decent running game. plus, when you have an elite QB, you will try to do the best you can to keep him for the longest time

i saw something on twitter about russ being responsible for about 84% of his team's yards. that's just bad

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/dec/04/rob-gronkowski-one-game-suspension-late-hit-tredavious-white-nfl

The Gronk gets a 1 game ban for diving on a player already on the floor and giving him a concussion. I suspect if it wasn't the prized TE of the Patriots it would be a longer ban but either way it's soft.

• Like 1

Just now, Fox in the North said:

Someone please tell me in all that’s holy what a catch is. I’m sorry but that is a catch and the law is an ass.

Ball hit the ground as he was coming down. Like the Bryant catch a few years ago. Stupid law but I think it was a correct call. Fvck knows what they were doing next play though.

• 2 weeks later...

Another last minute loss for the Ravens in the last game of the regular season with the play-offs on the line. Unbelievable stuff.

4th and 12 inside their own half with 50 seconds left and somehow we leave a guy wide open. Brilliant second half to come back from two scores down but that last play was horrible. 

As for the SB, well I unfortunately cannot see past the Patriots or Steelers for the AFC and my hunch would be the Steelers. I'll be happy for any of the NFC teams to win it though.