Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Disillusioned

Great Expectations...

Four games into last season (yes, that's right, FOUR) a small minoirty of fans started chanting for the resignation of the then LCFC manager. By the twelfth game of the season this chant had become a chorus of disapproval which most fans chimed in with and the manager did the 'honourable' thing.

What was slightly odd about this situation was that LCFC was lying a respectable (if not spectacular) eleventh in the table at the time of the managers's departure and had recently seen a significant upswing in form (11 points from the last six games).

Moreover, early results had been compromised by four sendings off (two of which were harsh in the extreme). A conservative estimate suggests that these disciplinary problems cost us around five points (including what would have been a splendid victory at Loftus Road against a revitalised QPR) and a showing in the play-off slots.

The manager was made a scapegoat for everything and anything: the red cards, 'hoofball', losing leads, crap players, La Manga... A scapegoat for everything and anything EXCEPT THE REAL THING.

BECAUSE WE WEREN'T TOP!

Now we have a rather different situation on our hands. We have a team that is on its worst run of form (at this level) in a generation, one that looks set to destroy one of our few proud traditions (only playing in the top two divisions). This side is incapable of winning away (and therefore unable to put together a winning streak) and is goal shy for matches on end.

Well the chorus of disapproval this time round has been deafeningly...mute. The present manager is not so much a scapegoat as a benefit-of-the-doubt goat. 'He's got us playing some good stuff,' 'he's building for the future' 'there's nobody else who could do a better job.'

I think a number of figures in political life would like to know the present manager's secret. Just how does he get away with being so much of a failure? And let's be quite clear on this point he has failed every target expected MASSIVELY.

He failed to get us a play-off berth let alone promotion (the reason why he was brought in). He failed to stabilise the club. He's got us into two relegation scraps in under a year. If any of this had occurred under the previous regime those responsible wouldn't have been foreced to resign they would have hung, drawn and quartered.

But now even the prospect of third tier football doesn't seem to hold any fears for our philosophical following (I'm still wondering whether calling this league Division One has confused them a tad). I'm sure the boss is wondering exactly what it is he has to do to get himself a P45. Well, in this crazy upside down club that is LCFC I think I can advise him on that...

WIN A FEW!

Archived