Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Molson Canadian

Frisians snap up Canadian

From Skysports http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=37...nap+up+Canadian

Heerenveen have signed Canadian international striker Will Johnson to a pre-contract agreement for next season.

The 19-year-old will join the Eredivisie club on an initial one-year contract from the beginning of July, with the club Dutch club having the option of extending the youngster's deal for another two seasons beyond that.

Johnson's impending move to the Abe Lenstra Stadion comes after the Toronto, Ontario-born player opted against signing a new deal with his former club in American Major League Soccer side Chicago Fire.

On the recommendation of Heerenveen's American midfielder Michael Bradley, Frisians boss Gertjan Verbeek handed the talented teenager a trial with the club earlier this month.

He has since gone on to impress the Dutch club with his abilities and earn himself a move into the European game for next season.

The striker told skysports.com of his delight at making the move to Holland and Heerenveen.

"I am very excited to be joining a club like Heerenveen," Johnson said.

"It is a big step up from the MLS and it will only make me a better player playing in a league like the Dutch First Division.

"All of the players and staff at the club made me feel welcome from the first day and made it an easy choice to sign without looking at other interests around Europe.

"I really look forward to pushing myself over there and furthering my career over in Europe.

"It is a very exciting time for me and I plan to make the best of this opportunity over in Holland."

In Johnson, Heerenveen have acquired a player of emerging talent, with the attacker having appeared for Canada's Under-20 side at last year's World Youth Championships in Holland.

He has gone to earn three senior caps with Frank Yallop's full Canada squad, with the latest being a late substitute appearance in a 2-0 friendly over Austria in Vienna on March 1.

i've seen this kid play he's going to be better than hume i have a feeling, too bad we couldn't make a move for him anyways i think that's just wishfull thinking on my part...now that's he's joining Heerenveen i think that might mean we will get MDV back :(

From Skysports http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=37...nap+up+Canadiani've seen this kid play he's going to be better than hume i have a feeling, too bad we couldn't make a move for him anyways i think that's just wishfull thinking on my part...now that's he's joining Heerenveen i think that might mean we will get MDV back :(

He is still on the books at city so he could be back, let him sweep up after the match

Archived