Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Geo V

Worthy: Change will take time

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=4...+will+take+time

Nigel Worthington aims to continue making changes after his first game as Leicester City boss ended with a 2-1 defeat to former club Norwich City.

Darren Kenton provided Worthington with the perfect start by scoring inside the opening minute for the Championship strugglers.

But a penalty from Robert Earnshaw and a Gareth McAuley own goal condemned Leicester to defeat in Worthington's first match in charge.

The ex-Norwich boss replaced Rob Kelly in midweek and accepts it will take time for his ideas to become ingrained in the players.

"We made a great start and we were doing everything we had spoken about in the week," said Worthington.

"We had tempo and sharpness, but it was always going to be difficult to maintain that level.

"When you come into a new club it is difficult because every manager has his own methods.

"Rob was here before and he is a good manager, but I needed the players to be more physical and fitter.

"To change things so dramatically to what I would like is impossible given the timeframe, but this has gone and now we move on."

Earnshaw was making his first appearance for over three months after a groin injury and Norwich boss Peter Grant was hoping to avoid bringing the striker on.

Grant said: "He was only on the bench to make up the numbers because of the number of injuries we have.

"I was hoping I wouldn't have to bring him on.

"I am glad he is back around the squad, but he is still short of match fitness - although the way he celebrated his goal it is obvious he is getting nearer."

A new man comes in and the first thing he always comments on is the fitness of the squad! They all do it! So with May approaching, the gaffer decides that the players need to work harder on their fitness levels. Im personally not convinced.

At least ist refreshing to hear that a manager of ours has some bottle and will make some changes if things arent right unlike RK who kept on protecting the lighweights.

Archived