Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
gerblod

Athletics - Diamond League 2022

I've been watching the BBC's coverage of this summer's Diamond League series. This week the 'circus' arrived in Monaco. 

I prefer the longer track events, particularly the 3k metres steeplechase. For most of the race, the American, Emma Coburn, led the pack - with two Ethiopians, Getachew and Wondemagegn waiting for the final lap to pounce. True to form they overtook her at the bell and came in first and second.

What struck me, as the cameras homed in on the struggle for places was the winner Getachew's physique - tall, slim hips, muscled arms and shoulders and a 'masculine' face.

So I did a search on her. Turns out she'd been withdrawn from a 2021 800m race by one of Ethiopia's Athletics governing bodies.

She's described on one athletics site as "intersex", which I guess describes Caster Semenya, Margaret Wambui, Francine Niyonsaba and Aminatou Seyni - predominantly 800m runners - although Seyni is a 400m runner.

It's a perplexing situation for everyone concerned. Trying to deal with it/them with testosterone reducing drugs seems a very artificial solution, yet allowing these runners to participate with normal (for them) levels is allowing an unfair advantage over women with typical physiological responses.

Maybe the IAAF should grasp the Inclusivity issue by creating a category in those categories between sprints and long distance for women with naturally enhanced testosterone. So they wouldn't have to mess around with drug régimes or suffer the disapprobation of we fans.