Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Hamza Choudhury: Leicester player 'sorry for offence' caused by pro-Palestinian post - For Info only - Locked

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67261620

Hamza Choudhury: Leicester player 'sorry for offence' caused by pro-Palestinian post
Last updated on30 October 202330 October 2023.

Leicester City midfielder Hamza Choudhury says he is "sorry for any offence he has caused" with a social media post often interpreted as supportive of Palestinian nationalism.

Choudhury wrote "From river to sea" with an image of a Palestinian flag on X, formerly known as Twitter on Monday.

Critics say the phrase implies the destruction of Israel, but some pro-Palestinian protesters disagree.

Choudhury, 26, said his post has "unfortunately been misinterpreted".

The former England Under-21 midfielder has not deleted the post, but in a statement he wrote: "It was and is not my intention to cause offence to anyone but simply to show compassion for the innocent people that are suffering.

"I'm sorry for any offence this has caused. I share the hope of people around the world that a peaceful resolution can bring an end to the ongoing suffering of innocent people in this conflict."

The Football Association is aware of the original post by Choudhury and is understood to be considering whether it breaches any regulations.

Championship side Leicester said: "We have discussed the matter with Hamza, and shared our concerns that views expressed in this manner - without sufficient context on a deeply nuanced and sensitive topic - are open to misinterpretation, which risks unintentional offence among sections of our communities.

"The thoughts of Leicester City Football Club remain with all the innocent victims of the tragic events unfolding in Israel and Palestine, their families and the communities affected."

• Like 1
  • Sad 1