Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
worth_the_wait

LCFC Away Coach Travel

On Monday, it looks like we've got 9 Fox Travel and 3 Fosse Supporters ("Ausden Clark") coaches going to Preston.   It got me thinking about when coach away travel was much more common.

In the 70's/80's, I think we always ran coaches from at least 4 LCFC Supporters club branches: Leicester, Loughborough, Melton and Hinckley.   There may also have been regular coaches from Narborough and Coalville, but I can't remember.  And possibly others too like Oakham?

You also had Midland Red excursions, which was for the general hoi polloi.   Anyone could just turn up and book a place.   They ran these up until the latter part of the 1977-78 season.   But then a load of the buses got wrecked after our 1-0 defeat at Cov, and I think they stopped running them soon after that.   Well at least for just general public booking.   Midland Red (and later National Express) did continue to run private hire coaches, but they had to be booked by a named person, with added responsibility to make sure it didn't get wrecked!

There were usually a few other private hire coaches as well.   In the 70's the Longstop normally ran a coach.  Yorkie regularly ran a coach in the late 70's/early 80's, as did Zoonie from the Invince.  In the 80's, the Market Traders (Franks & Co) regularly did a coach somewhere.  And other places in Leicester and the County regularly ran coaches.  The Stanny (Birstall) regularly ran coaches, as did lots of other pubs.

Any other regular coach "operators" ?  (or good away day bus/coach stories) ?

Edited by worth_the_wait

Our coach culture has all but disappeared. Other than the dry club ones I can only think of two other regular fans ones- Zonnie and Coalville ex baby squad lot.

Guess it is not helped now by the local companies being militant on not allowing booze and stuff like needing those with older driving licenses for minibus hire.

Complete contrast to where I live where nearly every pub in Hillsborough still runs a coach.