Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stuliasz

Our strikers play too deep

I think a major factor of our goalscoring problem is the strikers that are played and how they are played or the way they play. I am dead against playing Hume and Hammond up front because neither of them simply move off the ball into goalscoring positions.

Instead they are both players who would rather come deep leaving them more hard work to do to get the goal. This is a good way of playing providing you have a striker alongside you who will play further towards the goal and just move into the positions to score.

This is the main reason why I believe Fryatt is just the type of striker we need and without wanting to put pressure on the lad, why we desperately need him to stay fit all season as he seems to be the only striker who has that natural instinct for moving into goalscoring positions.

If Hume and Fryatt are played up front together for the remainder of the season with De Vries being the backup to Fryatt and Hammond the backup to Hume then I think it will produce the goals that are going to be needed to stay up.

I think a major factor of our goalscoring problem is the strikers that are played and how they are played or the way they play. I am dead against playing Hume and Hammond up front because neither of them simply move off the ball into goalscoring positions.

Instead they are both players who would rather come deep leaving them more hard work to do to get the goal. This is a good way of playing providing you have a striker alongside you who will play further towards the goal and just move into the positions to score.

This is the main reason why I believe Fryatt is just the type of striker we need and without wanting to put pressure on the lad, why we desperately need him to stay fit all season as he seems to be the only striker who has that natural instinct for moving into goalscoring positions.

If Hume and Fryatt are played up front together for the remainder of the season with De Vries being the backup to Fryatt and Hammond the backup to Hume then I think it will produce the goals that are going to be needed to stay up.

Hume and Hammond aren't strikers that's been plain almost from day one. So why play either of them up front? Fryatt and O'Grady are probably best suited to our team now. That's not saying you shouldn't use Hume as well, but, like you say, coming from deep.

But I have to be careful. The advocates of "we don't want 5-4 defeats we'd rather have 0-0 and 1-0" will be waving their arms if I carry on like this, not that 0-0 and 1-0 to us has happened lately which shouldn't surprise anyone considering our squad and the fact we've conceded at least one goal in each of our last 16 matches.

Hammond plays on the shoulder (or usually offside) of the last defender. To complain that he plays too deep is utterly ridiculous.

As a team we do not move up the pitch fast enough and that is the fault of the defenders. If they moved up enough then the midfield would be able to support the strikeforce more effectively.

Archived