Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Don

Question

Having a debate about the 1st game played at the world cup.

Germany are playing 1st this year. Am I right in saying that the hosts always play the 1st match of the tournament. Or is it like my mate says and the holders used to play the 1st game.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks

Germany are playing 1st this year. Am I right in saying that the hosts always play the 1st match of the tournament. Or is it like my mate says and the holders used to play the 1st game.

Thanks

I think it's the hosts but has not always been so; if you're keen to know you can work it out off this site, it has all the fixtures & dates from all the World Cups

World Cup History

Thanks

Your mate is right, it's traditionally the holders who play the first match of the World Cup.

In Japan 2002 the first match was France v Senegal, the first match in France '98 was Scotland v Brazil, the first match of USA '94 was Germany vs Bolivia, the first match of Italia '90 was Argentina vs Cameroon and so on...

i think in the wolrd cup it is the hosts that allways start first

but it its the euros that the host nation starts first (portugal vs greece, 2004)

cant really be botherd to porve my theory right so il let someone esle do it lol

but it its the euros that the host nation starts first (portugal vs greece, 2004)

The host nation has started first since 1984.

Euro 2000 started with Belgium vs Sweden.

Euro 1996 kicked off with England vs Switzerland.

Euro 1992 began with Sweden vs France.

Euro 1988 commenced with West Germany vs Italy.

Euro 1984 got underway with France vs Denmark.

Euro 1980, held in Italy, was ushered in by West Germany vs Czechoslovakia. West Germany were the winners of Euro 1976.

Archived