Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BartonFox

OS getting on my nerves

When people talk about us winning things recently though, it's still only the League Cup.

We've never won the league, we've never won the FA Cup and we've never done anything in Europe. If I supported a team that had done any or indeed all of these and saw a Leicester fan trying to say that their club was bigger than mine, I'd laugh. Even during the supposed glory years under O'Neill the highest we finished was 8th. If you look at the sort of teams who are finishing there at the moment in what is a more competitive league these days, you wouldn't term them big clubs for doing it.

Man City, Newcastle, West Ham and some others would pay £50m to win a cup like we did. All massive clubs from yesteryear but none have won much in my lifetime and beyond and i was born in 1972. They are still classed as huge clubs along with Leeds and Forest despite the lack of success in recent years. i still hear that Sheffield Wednesday are somehow a big club according to them mostly lol but times change and yesterdays big club can be tomorrows nobodies.

I think the main difference is that we've never really had a sustained period in the doldrums like most other clubs. I know the last three years have been shocking but remember, we're one of only 9 clubs to never have been relegated outside the top two divisions.

Not necessarily saying that makes us a big club but it's got to count for something.

It does count for something but it doesn't make us a big club. Everton have played in the top league for more seasons than anyone else but you wouldn't say they're a bigger club than Liverpool. Same sort of principle.

Man City, Newcastle, West Ham and some others would pay £50m to win a cup like we did. All massive clubs from yesteryear but none have won much in my lifetime and beyond and i was born in 1972. They are still classed as huge clubs along with Leeds and Forest despite the lack of success in recent years. i still hear that Sheffield Wednesday are somehow a big club according to them mostly lol but times change and yesterdays big club can be tomorrows nobodies.

I agree that Leeds are certainly nobodies at the moment but they only finished a few points behind us last season whereas they've achieved a hell of a lot more in their past than we've ever threatened to.

This discussion seems to have gone from "are we a big club?" to "are we a bigger club than..?"

There are a few 'big' clubs around - some of them have won little, some a lot.

So if we won the FA Cup and got to 6th in the Prem, would that make us a 'big' club?

What do we have to do?

Archived