Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scarby

Crowded House Fans

Crowded House drummer dead in park

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - Drummer Paul Hester from the New Zealand bands Split Enz and Crowded House has been found dead in a park in the southern Australian city of Melbourne, apparently after committing suicide, said the bands' fan website.

Australian police on Monday confirmed the body of a man in his 40s was found in Elsternwick Park near Hester's Melbourne home. Police said the death was not suspicious, but they would not release the man's name.

"I am devastated. I have lost one of my best mates," former Crowded House singer Neil Finn told Sydney's Daily Telegraph on Monday.

Hester, 46, failed to return home from walking his two dogs on Saturday night, said the newspaper on Monday.

The band's website, frenz.com, said "...Paul Hester of Split Enz, Crowded House, Largest Living Things, and many other great projects, has taken his own life".

"It is not a hoax or a rumour. At this point, it has been confirmed though we have no other details at this time."

Hester played in several Melbourne bands before joining New Zealand band Split Enz in 1983. He and Neil Finn formed Crowded House with bassist Nick Seymour in 1985. Hester quit Crowded House in 1994.

Finn, along with brother Tim, is on tour in Britain.

"I was a big fan and liked him enormously," said Australian entertainment reporter Richard Wilkins who worked with Hester during his Crowded House days.

"He was really well respected. He was a great drummer and a great singer and a great band member," said Wilkins.

RIP

always take the weather with you was and always will be a classic

Archived