Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ash

Pennant free man !

Steve Bruce has confirmed this morning that Jermaine Pennant will "definitely be involved" in tomorrow's Premiership clash with Tottenham Hospur following his early release from his custodial sentence yesterday.

Blues are currently awaiting confirmation from the Premier League that the on-loan Arsenal midfielder will be able to play with the tag that he must wear for the next two weeks. Gary Croft of Ipswich and Matthew Sparrow of S####horpe United have both played in Football League games wearing a similar tag in recent years, so Bruce does not expect that to be a problem.

"Obviously that wasn't in the Premier League so we are just waiting for a ruling," explained the Blues boss. "But we think it will be up to the referee's discretion and, if it is, we expect he will be okay with it. There is nothing sharp on it. It is one-and-a-half inches long and one-and-a-half inches wide with no sharp edges on it."

If Pennant is granted permission to play in the game then Bruce insisted that he would have no qualms about throwing the 22-year-old straight back into the fray at St. Andrew's tomorrow.

"The one thing that the kid wants to do is get on with his life and go and play football," said the Blues chief. "He looks okay in himself. I did detect yesterday that he was looking a little tired but he is delighted to be out. He just can't wait to play. He is definitely in the squad and he will definitely be involved, but to what capacity, I'm still not quite sure."

Football supporters are not known for their compassion and Bruce knows that Pennant is likely to be on the receiving end of some terrace taunts from opposition fans in the weeks to come. But Bruce is confident that the former England youth international will be able to cope.

"He is an exceptionally gifted football and that will not worry him," he said. "He has to deal with all of these things but he has probably had stick all of his life."

Pennant spent the whole of March behind bars in a Milton Keynes jail after being found guilty of motoring offences.

Bruce thinks that the Nottingham born youngster has learned his lesson and revealed his determination to get his football career back on track.

"We hope that he has learned his lesson and we will help him all we can to get back to normal," he said. "We've all had problems when we were young, some people handle them better than others. Jermaine has had two of three opportunities and let himself down so there is no more chances for him and he understands that too. He is determined for people to start talking about him as a footballer again rather than a young tearaway. Ultimately it is up to Jermaine, but I have every confidence that he will be okay."

Bruce also confirmed that talks were ongoing with Arsenal about making Pennant's switch to St. Andrew's permanent, and he admitted that if Blues were successful in getting their man then it would be a tremendous coup for the club.

"Karren Brady is close to a deal with Arsenal," added Bruce. "We are talking to his representative and we hope he will sign. He has appreciated what we have done for him. We couldn't have done any more. "We have only seen glimpses of what he is capable, technically he has got everything that it takes.You don't play for a club like Arsenal and score hat-tricks at the age of 19 and 20 if you're not something a bit special. He is very exciting and something that a lot of teams haven't got."

In other Birmingham City news, Steve Bruce today reiterated his desire to keep Clinton Morrison at St. Andrew's.

Morrison recently stated that he might be forced to consider his future after finding himself down the pecking order behind both Emile Heskey and Walter Pandiani. But Bruce has assured the Republic of Ireland international that if Blues are to progress as a club he has got to have "competition for places and four strikers."

"Clinton has played his part in keeping us in the Premier League in the last three years," said Bruce. "He has not had the goals return that he would have liked and certainly when you look at his record for Ireland and Crystal Palace he will be disappointed with the actual goals tally. But it is also what he has brought to the team as a whole and that is what we are really appreciative about. He has done very well in the years he has been here. I understand his frustrations but if we are to progress as a club then I have got to have competition for places and four strikers. You only have to look at Spurs who have Keane, Kanoute, Defoe and Mido.  You have got to have that if you are to progress in the Premier League because you can't just rely on two strikers. Clinton's chance will ultimately be around the corner again and I am mindful that when he is scoring, he is very, very good. We want him to stay, and he still has a big part to play it is as simple as that."

Meanwhile the Blues boss also revealed that talks were still on-going regarding new contracts for a number of other players.

"Negotiations are still ongoing with Pandiani and Upson. We have still got six weeks left until the end of the season so let's get on with playing and see where we end up and then enter discussions in the summer. As for Kenny Cunningham he has got a year left on his contract. I will have my annual board meeting in May and I will put my recommendations forward. Kenny Cunningham has still got a lot of football in him and I am sure he can go on for at least another couple of years."

Released early because of who he is ! :(

Steve Bruce has confirmed this morning that Jermaine Pennant will "definitely be involved" in tomorrow's Premiership clash with Tottenham Hospur following his early release from his custodial sentence yesterday.

Blues are currently awaiting confirmation from the Premier League that the on-loan Arsenal midfielder will be able to play with the tag that he must wear for the next two weeks. Gary Croft of Ipswich and Matthew Sparrow of S####horpe United have both played in Football League games wearing a similar tag in recent years, so Bruce does not expect that to be a problem.

"Obviously that wasn't in the Premier League so we are just waiting for a ruling," explained the Blues boss. "But we think it will be up to the referee's discretion and, if it is, we expect he will be okay with it. There is nothing sharp on it. It is one-and-a-half inches long and one-and-a-half inches wide with no sharp edges on it."

If Pennant is granted permission to play in the game then Bruce insisted that he would have no qualms about throwing the 22-year-old straight back into the fray at St. Andrew's tomorrow.

"The one thing that the kid wants to do is get on with his life and go and play football," said the Blues chief. "He looks okay in himself. I did detect yesterday that he was looking a little tired but he is delighted to be out. He just can't wait to play. He is definitely in the squad and he will definitely be involved, but to what capacity, I'm still not quite sure."

Football supporters are not known for their compassion and Bruce knows that Pennant is likely to be on the receiving end of some terrace taunts from opposition fans in the weeks to come. But Bruce is confident that the former England youth international will be able to cope.

"He is an exceptionally gifted football and that will not worry him," he said. "He has to deal with all of these things but he has probably had stick all of his life."

Pennant spent the whole of March behind bars in a Milton Keynes jail after being found guilty of motoring offences.

Bruce thinks that the Nottingham born youngster has learned his lesson and revealed his determination to get his football career back on track.

"We hope that he has learned his lesson and we will help him all we can to get back to normal," he said. "We've all had problems when we were young, some people handle them better than others. Jermaine has had two of three opportunities and let himself down so there is no more chances for him and he understands that too. He is determined for people to start talking about him as a footballer again rather than a young tearaway. Ultimately it is up to Jermaine, but I have every confidence that he will be okay."

Bruce also confirmed that talks were ongoing with Arsenal about making Pennant's switch to St. Andrew's permanent, and he admitted that if Blues were successful in getting their man then it would be a tremendous coup for the club.

"Karren Brady is close to a deal with Arsenal," added Bruce. "We are talking to his representative and we hope he will sign. He has appreciated what we have done for him. We couldn't have done any more. "We have only seen glimpses of what he is capable, technically he has got everything that it takes.You don't play for a club like Arsenal and score hat-tricks at the age of 19 and 20 if you're not something a bit special. He is very exciting and something that a lot of teams haven't got."

In other Birmingham City news, Steve Bruce today reiterated his desire to keep Clinton Morrison at St. Andrew's.

Morrison recently stated that he might be forced to consider his future after finding himself down the pecking order behind both Emile Heskey and Walter Pandiani. But Bruce has assured the Republic of Ireland international that if Blues are to progress as a club he has got to have "competition for places and four strikers."

"Clinton has played his part in keeping us in the Premier League in the last three years," said Bruce. "He has not had the goals return that he would have liked and certainly when you look at his record for Ireland and Crystal Palace he will be disappointed with the actual goals tally. But it is also what he has brought to the team as a whole and that is what we are really appreciative about. He has done very well in the years he has been here. I understand his frustrations but if we are to progress as a club then I have got to have competition for places and four strikers. You only have to look at Spurs who have Keane, Kanoute, Defoe and Mido.  You have got to have that if you are to progress in the Premier League because you can't just rely on two strikers. Clinton's chance will ultimately be around the corner again and I am mindful that when he is scoring, he is very, very good. We want him to stay, and he still has a big part to play it is as simple as that."

Meanwhile the Blues boss also revealed that talks were still on-going regarding new contracts for a number of other players.

"Negotiations are still ongoing with Pandiani and Upson. We have still got six weeks left until the end of the season so let's get on with playing and see where we end up and then enter discussions in the summer. As for Kenny Cunningham he has got a year left on his contract. I will have my annual board meeting in May and I will put my recommendations forward. Kenny Cunningham has still got a lot of football in him and I am sure he can go on for at least another couple of years."

86227[/snapback]

Why do the law have to do this? Released just because he is a footballer should have nothing to do with it. Should have served his sentance like ordinary people would have.

86227[/snapback]

Why do the law have to do this? Released just because he is a footballer should have nothing to do with it. Should have served his sentance like ordinary people would have.

86231[/snapback]

Complete utter joke! Only because he's a footballer! :mad: He only did a 3rd of what he was meant to do! Do you think he's learnt his lesson? I don't think so. What example does this give to other so called professionals? If he gets away with it, other people will think they can do it as well and not get punished for it!

JOKE! :mad: <_<

Not as bad as that woman who shot all those chav yobbo dudes with an airpistol who were harrassing her and her son who got 6 months, compared to that geezer who was in the country illegally, pissed out his face, driving a car with no tax or insurance who hit a 12 year old kid (killing him) who got two months.

Now that's a fecking joke :mad:

Archived