Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
stez

morcombe

Surprisingly (to some) - I won't be going and have never considered it

Why? - Wasted (or Holidays In The Sun as it used to be called) is organised by Daz Russell

Daz Russell used to promote Punk gigs in Birmingham in the mid to late 80s and early 90s - He was good at his job in terms of getting good bands to play but he soon gained a deserved reputation as a conman

Many times he has refused to pay bands and also has advertised big name bands who were not actually playing - Just to get tickets sold

An example for you - Extreme Noise Terror (before I joined them) played a couple of times at The Mermaid in Brum (The Mermaid was a legendary hall above The Mermaid pub) - These gigs were packed out which means a large wodge of money was taken at the door - After the last of these gigs Daz Russell kept the band waiting (to be paid) until after everyone else had left the venue. He then appeared with a gang of thugs / bouncers from the Mermaid pub and told the band they could get in their van and drive away or they could hang around and be beaten up and have their van trashed - Either way they weren't getting paid!!

I've also hung around after a gig and witnessed him telling a band to fúck off - Oi Polloi played in Coventry and had been guaranteed a minimum payment £150-200- Not many people turned up for the gig and Daz Russell offered the band £20 - I left whilst a heated row was taking place (The band are from Scotland and so only took the gig because they were guaranteed enough money to cover van hire and fuel costs)

Another reason I dislike Wasted is the nazi connections - A number of bands play at Wasted who have in the past toured with nazi scumbags such as Screwdriver - Although I don't play in a band anymore I would never play at Wasted (regardless of Daz Russell) because of these nazi bástards - The bands concerned now deny that they were ever involved with the nazi skinhead movement or claim that they've changed

Anyways I'll stop my rant now because I'm getting angry - So Stez, my rant is my own personnal view - I hope you and Mick have a good time - You will undoubtedly bump into many old chums of mine (or see them on the stage) - Enjoy

Archived