Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Looney playing Rooney?

National newspaper story today pointed out that Wayne Rooney hasn't scored a single goal in 17 World Cup qualifying matches.

Funny thing really. If that had been Heskey's record they'd have pilloried him mercilessly.

Wayne insists he's saving his goals for Germany but he's hardly prolific for Manchester either.

What's your view. Is he a spectacularly-promising liability or merely a misused, misunderstood genius who would be brilliant if only people played him in the right way/place.

It goes back to what I've asked about some City players... are they people who have an effect on matches or do they just manage to look good without having any great noticable impact?.

Sylla, for example, never seems to have much effect but MDV quite often scores or plays his part in a goal.

What's your view on Wayne?

National newspaper story today pointed out that Wayne Rooney hasn't scored a single goal in 17 World Cup qualifying matches.

Funny thing really. If that had been Heskey's record they'd have pilloried him mercilessly.

Wayne insists he's saving his goals for Germany but he's hardly prolific for Manchester either.

What's your view. Is he a spectacularly-promising liability or merely a misused, misunderstood genius who would be brilliant if only people played him in the right way/place.

It goes back to what I've asked about some City players... are they people who have an effect on matches or do they just manage to look good without having any great noticable impact?.

Sylla, for example, never seems to have much effect but MDV quite often scores or plays his part in a goal.

What's your view on Wayne?

I've already posted that I thought he was pretty ineffectual against Poland with a lot of misplaced passes and shots. He does have this 'presence' which Heskey, despite his size never had.

One of the reason there are such diverse opinions in football is that we all let personal prejudices get in the way of objectivety and the rose, red, blue coloured specs come out. Irrespective of ability some players are instantly forgiven for bad performances whereas other are castigated for the smallest of errors. Rooney fits into the first, Heskey fits into the second

It's the same when a team is winning/losing if your in front and a player makes a total hash of something it's funny and they are forgiven, if they make the same mistake when you're losing heaven help the guy in question.

I think Rooney is not necessarily a 'natural' goal scorer/striker, his skills provide him with additional attributes that are possibly wasted playing as an out and out striker, that makes him a bit of a misfit and like a lot of players of his ilk has to be 'fitted' into a team - the usual suggestion is behind the front two, that means you lose one of your central midfielders or wide men, usual a wide man and you end up playing 433 or some more complex formation.

His ideal position would be a good old fashion inside right in a 2, 3, 5 formation. ;)

Rooney has a natural eye for goal, and should be used always up front. I'd prefer him to have a few games as the main striker, to see how he copes.

No goals in 17 matches suggests otherwise! even if he's not played as a striker.

Archived