Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bridge

MLS semi-final

Colorado V L.A. Not bad action so far..fantastic goal by Donovan(the little wimp) reminniscent of Owen's goal last weekend. If only they could remove the NFL yardage markers from the field...and put a few more fans in the stands!

Landon Donovan is a little crybaby who couldnt hack it in Germany.

Your right, he is a wimpy little baby..and he should be in Europe, testing his mettle against the best players in the world. However he scored 2 goals (both world class) in the semi-finals and put his team into the championship game..he's the captain of the U.S. national team and one hell of a talent. Why am I vaguely embarassed by his attitude?

Landon Donovan "couldn't hack it in Germany," so fvcking what?

Bayer Leverkusen did a sh:t job with him as a youngster... if one doesn't have an EU passport, one cannot play for a EU football club's first team before he is 18. Donovan's first few years @ Leverkusen involved him scrapping it out there with reserve teams in regional divisions of very poor quality. Not really a great way to bring up a youngster, although to be honest, maybe Donovan should have known what he was getting into before he went out to Germany in the first place.

So Bayer Leverkusen sent him to MLS on an indefinite loan period and would say every three months that they would bring Donovan back... and after every one of those comments, they would never follow through. In that time period, Donovan's game improved very much--so much that he became an integral part of the U.S. national team. When Leverkusen finally asked for him back, they threw him on the bench. If I were Donovan, I would have done the same damn thing: demand that I go back to MLS, where I'd make the same amount of money, enjoy the beautiful California weather, bang my hot American actress girlfriend, be the man on my team, be closer to the U.S. national team (in fact, play for a club whose stadium is a training center for the national team) and keep improving as a player. It's certainly not harmed his performances with the national team, and that's all right with me.

Sure, Donovan is a crybaby. And he might not have "cracked it in Germany." But the realquestion here is, "Why the fvck would he want to crack it in Germany?"

Bayer Leverkusen did a sh:t job with him as a youngster... if one doesn't have an EU passport, one cannot play for a EU football club's first team before he is 18. Donovan's first few years @ Leverkusen involved him scrapping it out there with reserve teams in regional divisions of very poor quality. Not really a great way to bring up a youngster, although to be honest, maybe Donovan should have known what he was getting into before he went out to Germany in the first place.

Sure, Donovan is a crybaby. And he might not have "cracked it in Germany." But the realquestion here is, "Why the fvck would he want to crack it in Germany?"

I am gonna call bullshit on this. The rules were changed about not playing until you are 18 AFTER he went to Germany the first time.

Leverkusen did play him - but in the most important game he stunk the whole place up in the 2nd leg against Liverpool and was subbed off at half time.

He is a good player, he will never be a great player if he stays in MLS. There is no pressure apart from the playoffs. When you are in a conference with Salt Lake and Chivas you are going to make the playoffs.

He has what 4 hard games a season?

Also not too hard playing well for the National Team when the only difficult game in qualifying is Mexico away - a game in which he vanished.

So Bayer Leverkusen sent him to MLS on an indefinite loan period and would say every three months that they would bring Donovan back... and after every one of those comments, they would never follow through. In that time period, Donovan's game improved very much--so much that he became an integral part of the U.S. national team. When Leverkusen finally asked for him back, they threw him on the bench. If I were Donovan, I would have done the same damn thing: demand that I go back to MLS, where I'd make the same amount of money, enjoy the beautiful California weather, bang my hot American actress girlfriend, be the man on my team, be closer to the U.S. national team (in fact, play for a club whose stadium is a training center for the national team) and keep improving as a player. It's certainly not harmed his performances with the national team, and that's all right with me.

Who cares anyway, its the MLS, its the equivalent of League One! Forest would walk it (or at least get a WILDCARD - i mean give us a break!)

It was a joke seeing as almost every other 'American' sport has one! I only have knowledge of REAL football leagues and the MLS is worse than the Licthenstein Premier

Seen much of it have you?

Two American sports have Wildcards, baseball and the NFL.

Hockey and Basketball dont.

So that is not almost every American sport - it would be 50%/

PC..you know you won't get anywhere with this line of reasoning. It's just a wind up from this dude. The MLS is OK..It's the best we've got and we'll never know how it compares with the English leagues below the prem. Just thought a few people on here might be interested..I'm sure there are more than a few with open minds.

PC..you know you won't get anywhere with this line of reasoning. It's just a wind up from this dude. The MLS is OK..It's the best we've got and we'll never know how it compares with the English leagues below the prem. Just thought a few people on here might be interested..I'm sure there are more than a few with open minds.

Good point.

Ok well 50% of American sports do, sorry my mistake, but the point still stands the MLS is not even substandard -

"The defence has held a tight line while the forward manouvers into a scoring position to leave the keeper with no choice but to advance and prevent his forward motion" (roughly!)

Commentators on some MLS game i saw on C5

Basically someone went through on goal and got brought down by the keeper!

It was a joke seeing as almost every other 'American' sport has one! I only have knowledge of REAL football leagues and the MLS is worse than the Licthenstein Premier

I don't watch MLS personally but it can't be that bad as USA international side are sonsistently solid and there World Cup record in past 12 years or so is vastly better than Englands. Maybe MLS os actually good and our own football is rubbish, I bet there are less big headed ego-maniacs in MLS than Premier league for a start.

I don't watch MLS personally but it can't be that bad as USA international side are sonsistently solid and there World Cup record in past 12 years or so is vastly better than Englands. Maybe MLS os actually good and our own football is rubbish, I bet there are less big headed ego-maniacs in MLS than Premier league for a start.

There are probababily less big headed mainiacs because its to the Americans like lawn bowling in terms of popularity to us (bit of an exageration but you know what im trying to say!). The USA also only have to beat Mexico twice and should qualify every time!

There are probababily less big headed mainiacs because its to the Americans like lawn bowling in terms of popularity to us (bit of an exageration but you know what im trying to say!). The USA also only have to beat Mexico twice and should qualify every time!

Yes but they usually do well in the finals after qualifying. Let's face it also Mexico would thrash the likes of Poland and N Ireland.

Ok well 50% of American sports do, sorry my mistake, but the point still stands the MLS is not even substandard -

"The defence has held a tight line while the forward manouvers into a scoring position to leave the keeper with no choice but to advance and prevent his forward motion" (roughly!)

Commentators on some MLS game i saw on C5

Basically someone went through on goal and got brought down by the keeper!

Bullcrap. Never heard one commentator do that, or are you perpetuating the myth that went round at the last World Cup from the Guardians minute by minute commentary?

Or do you just know nothing about nothing?

Bullcrap. Never heard one commentator do that, or are you perpetuating the myth that went round at the last World Cup from the Guardians minute by minute commentary?

Or do you just know nothing about nothing?

Well i did hear it so.....lets face it 'We do the football and you'll do the beer'. Budweiser 2005

Not quite true about the World Cup

94 - Second round

98 - First Round

2002 - Quarter finals.

In 2002 the US was lucky in that they had to play Mexico in the 2nd round and Mexcio finds it hard to beat the US out of the Azteca stadium.

I am not sure how they will do next year, depends on their forwards.

Midfield is decent, but they lack a left back and if Keller gets injured they are in trouble.

They play Scotland on Saturday

Not quite true about the World Cup

94 - Second round

98 - First Round

2002 - Quarter finals.

In 2002 the US was lucky in that they had to play Mexico in the 2nd round and Mexcio finds it hard to beat the US out of the Azteca stadium.

I am not sure how they will do next year, depends on their forwards.

Midfield is decent, but they lack a left back and if Keller gets injured they are in trouble.

They play Scotland on Saturday

Is Brad Fridel not with the team anymore hes quality, what about that old guy Tony Meola!

Friedel retired from international football. Near post Tony is way too old.

The reserve keepers are Howard and Hahnemann(at Reading)

Howard is not bad on his day, but most international sides only have one main choice goalkeeper! Whos in your midfield mate? (sorry about earlier - i am getting an education in US football now!)

Howard is not bad on his day, but most international sides only have one main choice goalkeeper! Whos in your midfield mate? (sorry about earlier - i am getting an education in US football now!)

In my midfield is Lampard, Backham, Gerrard and Cole.

I guess the first choice USA midfield is Beasley(at PSV Eindhoven) Reyna, Donovan, Eddie Lewis(Leeds) or Convey(Reading)

Archived