Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Chromebooks

Bought myself a Chromebook.   I am still getting my head around it- that search button is a killer! 

However I have been trying to work out whether if I need to get anti virus protection.   Information online have been inconsistent including websites recommending anti virus programs however when I spoken to several providers, they have reported that their programs are not compatible with Chromebooks?

Any experience in this area guys?

Guest Fox99

Chromebooks have built-in virus protection, and that's what I stick with to be honest. Google make a point of promoting that on their advertising and having also researched online about this before, it's strong protection and I've never had any issues.

You can edit the keyboard to better suit you, for instance I use the Search button as the Caps Lock key. This is useful for further reading...

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1047364?hl=en-GB#zippy=%2Cchange-how-the-ctrl-alt-and-search-or-launcher-keys-work

Hope you get on well with your new Chromebook, from my experiences I would recommend them. 

22 hours ago, AlexFT said:

Chromebooks have built-in virus protection, and that's what I stick with to be honest. Google make a point of promoting that on their advertising and having also researched online about this before, it's strong protection and I've never had any issues.

You can edit the keyboard to better suit you, for instance I use the Search button as the Caps Lock key. This is useful for further reading...

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1047364?hl=en-GB#zippy=%2Cchange-how-the-ctrl-alt-and-search-or-launcher-keys-work

Hope you get on well with your new Chromebook, from my experiences I would recommend them. 

Fantastic stuff mate.   The bit about the keyboards is a game changer so I owe you one good sir!

What built in virus protection is there?  Do you meant as in software/app where you can perform scans just like Windows' Defender or is it just a background program?   I read the same about Chromebooks having reputable virus protection due to sandboxing effect but I just cannot get my head around that given you can still download and save stuff (albietty in cloud) 

Guest Fox99
4 hours ago, The Blur said:

Fantastic stuff mate.   The bit about the keyboards is a game changer so I owe you one good sir!

What built in virus protection is there?  Do you meant as in software/app where you can perform scans just like Windows' Defender or is it just a background program?   I read the same about Chromebooks having reputable virus protection due to sandboxing effect but I just cannot get my head around that given you can still download and save stuff (albietty in cloud) 

So glad my input about the keyboard has helped! As far as I’m aware, you can’t perform scans like Windows Defender or at least it’s not something I do. To me it’s more of a background program, on the sandboxing process that’s what I read about. If I recall rightly, it traps any threats and stops them from advancing in turn protecting your data etc. I understand where you’re coming from on this as I shared the same concerns but ultimately came to the decision to put my trust in Google’s own protection.