Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lookwhaticando

Squad decimated by a bug

0,,10274~2842053,00.jpg

A bout of illness in the City camp couldn't prevent Rob Kelly's side gaining a 2-1 victory over Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday afternoon.

The Leicester caretaker boss was down to just 15 fully fit players for the game after a sickness bug had swept through the training ground in the run up to the fixture.

But Kelly's side showed a real grit and determination to secure all three points at the Withdean and thus move six points ahead of the 21st placed Seagulls.

Kelly said: "I couldn't have asked for any more form the players. What people don't know is we were literally down to the bare bones.

"Ryan Smith was very ill this morning and we have just literally had to wheel him out. The same goes for Paddy McCarthy. Gareth Williams had to be sent home with the bug and even some of the staff have got it. It really has dug into every single one of them.

"We were forced to bring on Ryan when James Wesolowski came off through injury, but the bug had drained him more than he had thought. You can't stick your head in the sand in situations like that and after speaking to Mike (Stowell) I made the decision to take him off.

"We will have the players in on Sunday to run some checks. But we'll be all right."

The Foxes took the lead in the fourth minute - McCarthy heading home a Joey Gudjonssson corner.

And Kelly's men doubled their advantage a minute later - Iain Hume rounding the Brighton 'keeper to score from an acute angle.

The home side pulled one back through Alexandre Frutos on 56 minutes - but City held on to make it three wins on the bounce.

Kelly said: "It was important win. I've said all along that nobody was going to stay up or go down on the day, but what the result has done is give us a bit more confidence and belief.

"There were a lot of things to be pleased about and I am just so happy for the supporters because there were nearly 1,000 of them here and they made a real noise. We have got a relatively young squad and I cannot understate how important the part they play is.

"It wasn't a game for the purists, but we dug in to grind out the result. That's where we are at the moment and that is what we have to do."

The only sour note on the day was the injury picked up by Wesolowski midway through the second half.

Kelly said: "James caught his boot in the ground and the area has swollen up. He's a tough young man and again we will look at him tomorrow. But I doubt he will be available for Tuesday."

Source - OS

Did anyone know this before, or has it only just been mentioned at all?

That's a bit unfortunate to have lost all those players, and it's now crystal clear why Smith was substituted after coming on as a substitute himself - also explains the very different looking bench and the shuffling of the pack in the late stages.

Shame about Weso too - not around for Derby then, which is a blow, but hopefully Smith will be better by then: if Smith is fit, he can play left wing, and Hughes can replace Weso in the middle.

Archived