Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stuliasz

My Luton Review

Thought I'd post my review as featured in my blog for the people who didn't go today:

Another fantastic three points on the board in our quest for safety thanks to a crucial 2-1 win over Mike Newell's Luton Town. Leicester took the lead about half way through the first half when a long ball was pumped towards Fryatt, the defender slipped leaving Fryatt one-on-one and he finished coolly, never looking like missing.

It was from this point onwards that City decided to fall asleep and Luton gradually got back into the game and consequently upped the pace. City had a big let off when a Carlos Edwards cross allowed Steve Howard a free header in the box which he glanced onto the inside of the post from about 6 yards out. Fortunately though, City held on to the 1-0 lead going into the break after constant pressure towards the end of the half from Luton but to no avail.

Unfortunately this pressure continued into the second half but about ten fold as Luton came out absolutely flying like no team I've ever seen before with City just not being able to handle it and this resulted in a goal ten minutes in to the second half thanks to a close range header from huge traditional centre forward Steve Howard. Luton however couldn't keep up the pace and despite still dominating the second half, it was City who pushed on in the last five minutes and this resulted in a first senior goal for Chris O'Grady with two minutes remaining after a mis-hit effort from Andy Welsh fell at his feet a few yards out for him to tap in to an empty net to send the City fans ecstatic. It was scarcely deserved but it's about time we had a bit of luck. My ratings:

Henderson 7 - Kicking was poor but his handling was good and couldn't do much about the goal

Stearman 6 - Struggled to deal with the Luton wingers but made some good strong challenges

Johansson 5 - Could not deal with Carlos Edwards at all, was skinned multiple times and distribution was poor

McCarthy 7.5 - Some superb last ditch defending, good to see him back after his suspension

Kisnorbo 7.5 - Again some fantastic last ditch stuff to save the day on numerous occasions

Maybury 6 - Struggled to get forward due to the pace of their wingers and was fairly ineffective

Hughes 4 - Poorest game I have seen him for some time, looked very lightweight as he was shrugged off the ball too easily and misplaced too many passes

Gudjonsson 6 - Didn't close down quickly enough and not as effective as he has been

Williams 6.5 - Didn't do too badly, was good to see him getting a foot on the ball and holding it when it was needed at the start of the second half

Hume 6.5 - Chased things but did not to great effect

Fryatt 7.5 - Took his goal very well indeed and was a constant thorn in the Luton defence

Welsh 7 - Caused problems with his direct style, loves to get to the byline with the ball and set up the goal for the winner

O'Grady 7.5 - Would love to grade him higher but was only on for ten minutes. Won so many lost causes while he was on to keep possession and delighted to see him get his first goal. Even found time to showboat with a lovely backheel late on.

As far as the day out goes, what an absolute hole Luton is. It's without doubt the worst away ground I have been to. We parked in a Sainsbury's car park about 5 mins walk from the ground and found our way to a pub that was recommended, which involved going through a back alley which can only be described as a mugger's haven.

Going into the ground was like going into someone's house as the turnstiles are right in the middle of a row of terraced houses with rooms of a house above you as you go in. Once you are through you can see into people's bedrooms, gardens and bathrooms! The seating was unreserved which is a good job as my Dad was cramped and he was only 5'9 so I grabbed an aisle seat. Also managed to get a touch of the ball during the warm up as the players were (not very successfully) practicing shooting and shot many over and wide.

Anyway next week is Millwall away which I am positively not going to with Championship leaders Reading at home the week afterwards. We are now 10 points above the relegation zone (with Millwall the team trying to catch).

Archived