Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Random Burglar

Newell agrees new 4 year deal with Luton

Newell agrees new deal with Luton

Newell took over as Luton boss in June 2003

Luton boss Mike Newell is to sign a new four-year deal with the club.

The announcement will end speculation linking Newell with the vacant manager's position at Leicester.

Hatters chairman Bill Tomlins told the club website: "I am pleased to confirm that the club's offer of a new four-year contract has been agreed.

"It will be signed after consultation with Mike's solicitor. I believe this commitment reflects Mike's belief he can achieve his ambitions with Luton."

Newell was hotly tipped to take over at Leicester following the departure of Craig Levein in January.

And even after publicly stating he wanted to stay at Luton, the rumours linking Newell to the Leicester post continued.

Tomlins added: "Even when speculation was rife, Michael always indicated his desire to stay with us. His record here speaks volumes."

Or maybe not:

Newell - I've not signed new deal

Luton boss Mike Newell was satisfied with Saturday's win over Derby - but he was less than happy with his employers for releasing an announcement that he had agreed a new four-year deal at Kenilworth Road.

Chairman Bill Tomlins had spoken of the development on the club's website on Friday day - but Newell denied knowledge of any such deal.

He said after the 1-0 success which ended a sequence of three successive defeats: "I haven't signed a new contract and I haven't agreed anything.

"A new contract was sent to my solicitor yesterday, but I haven't seen it yet and I doubt whether my solicitor has even had a chance to read it.

"People are jumping the gun here a little bit.

"I'm happy here and I don't anticipate there being a problem, but I get a bit frustrated at times when people put things out that shouldn't be put out."

Asked if he had been surprised at hearing the news, Newell replied: "Surprised isn't the word.

"I was watching the racing at Cheltenham when my phone started buzzing and beeping with messages from people saying "congratulations on your new four-year deal" so I turned over to see what they were reading.

"In a way it's nice the club want me to stay, but I'm annoyed at the way it's come out.

"I wouldn't put things out in public when they haven't been agreed."

Archived