Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Are the excuses starting already?

Source - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/w...006/4814510.stm

Eriksson may appeal to Fifa again _41450222_erikssonponder203.jpg Eriksson's side play Jamaica and Hungary after the 15 May deadline Sven-Goran Eriksson may appeal against Fifa's decision not to allow the 32 countries competing in the World Cup more time to name their 23-man squads.

Fifa stated on Thursday it would not change the original 15 May deadline.

But England coach Eriksson said: "Why should we pick the final squad the same day we meet up? Probably we'll try once more to do something about it.

"I do not like it at all and I am not alone. I think the coaches of the 31 other World Cup teams feel the same."

Eriksson remains hopeful for a date nearer to 9 June when the tournament starts.

He said: "Whether we will be successful or not I do not know.

"At the moment we don't think it's fair because we want to see the players and see how they are before we finalise the squad.

"It gives you less choice. You have to choose the players before you start working with them and that's not good."

However, Eriksson revealed that if he had to choose the squad now, he "would be quite sure about 20 players".

Fifa rejected the idea of giving countries more time to finalise their squads following a meeting of the World Cup organising committee.

"The course of action is intended to afford the players concerned adequate recovery time, although injured players may be replaced after this date following a specific procedure," said Fifa in a statement.

Fifa announced in December 2004 that players picked for their countries would have to be released on 14 May and any exceptions would "only be granted to top non-European leagues with the approval of world football's governing body".

One of the fears Fifa had was if the deadline had been extended players whose domestic seasons were still being played would be used by their clubs.

Another concern was that players would be taken out of domestic competition by countries naming larger squads only to be sent back when the squads were trimmed.

While these problems would not have affected most European countries, whose club competitions would have come to an end, the same situation was not widespread enough for Fifa to put back the deadline.

The statement added: "Granting a larger squad and a later deadline for the definitive list of players would mean any players who were not then taken into account would be missing from their clubs." The 15 May squad deadline falls two days before the Champions League final, but players involved in the Paris showpiece have special dispensation to compete even if they are picked by the national teams for the World Cup.

Source - http://www.soccer365.com/US_NEWS/South_Ame...83_116778.shtml

Sven: Clock Ticking For Stars15/03/06Eriksson_Sven_Goran_2.jpgWorld Soccer Shop Team Wear

Sven-Goran Eriksson has admitted his fears for England's injured stars are growing as the clock ticks towards the end of the season.

Experienced internationals including Ashley Cole, Sol Campbell and Michael Owen are all sidelined with injuries and Eriksson wants to name his 23-man World Cup squad on May 8.

"I have concerns about all of them because we are in the middle of March and the season finishes for them at the beginning of May," said Eriksson. "I hope all of them will be on the pitch very soon."

But the Swede had encouraging news about his key trio. He added: "I spoke to Ashley Cole twice recently and he thinks he will be back in training in two weeks. Michael Owen is supposed to be ready very soon and Sol played in a reserve game yesterday (Tuesday) and that's very good news."

England's other injury worries include Kieron Dyer, Jonathan Woodgate, Wayne Bridge and Owen Hargreaves.

Eriksson was in Germany on Wednesday to check on the training and hotel facilities at England's remote World Cup base in the Black Forest.

His squad will stay at the impressive Buhlerhohe Schlosshotel from June 5 until they are knocked out of the competition or head to Berlin for the World Cup final.

The hotel, built as a convalescence home for German officers in World War I, is near the famous health resort of Baden Baden.

International statesmen like Bill Clinton and Nelson Mandela have been guests and Germany keeper Oliver Kahn was married in the hotel, where rooms cost up to £1,400 per night.

Eriksson said: "I am happy with this place and you can see why. The FA are very good at selecting the best hotel and this will suit us."

After throwing his toys out of the pram for an early finish to the season, I think he's being a bit unreasonable.

Discuss.

Source - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/w...006/4814510.stm

[/size]

Source - http://www.soccer365.com/US_NEWS/South_Ame...83_116778.shtml

After throwing his toys out of the pram for an early finish to the season, I think he's being a bit unreasonable.

Discuss.

Same old Erricson, always talking sh*t!!! I'm surprised he doesn't blame everything on his lack of opportunities in shagging more FA staff!!

Discuss.

He's not the only manager of a World Cup team who wants more time, although this fact is brushed over in order to concentrate more on Sven Sven Sven.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for more time. The deadline does seem to be a bit on the early side, and with so many of the England players either injured or yet to prove themselves, Eriksson would be doing the country a disservice if he didn't try to get more time.

Eriksson is doing the right thing for England in seeking more days to finalize his squad, and yet he still gets criticised for it. No wonder the poor sod is leaving!

He's not the only manager of a World Cup team who wants more time, although this fact is brushed over in order to concentrate more on Sven Sven Sven.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for more time. The deadline does seem to be a bit on the early side, and with so many of the England players either injured or yet to prove themselves, Eriksson would be doing the country a disservice if he didn't try to get more time.

Eriksson is doing the right thing for England in seeking more days to finalize his squad, and yet he still gets criticised for it. No wonder the poor sod is leaving!

Agreed LH.

England were one of many countries that applied for an extension.

Had others done it and succeeded whilst we did nothing, he would have been slaughtered.

What I object to is the way he spat his dummy out to have the season start and finish early, then moans when his players won't be match fit because of it.

I do agree the deadline for squads is too early.

Archived