Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
who-izzet

Levi Porter

Lets not start on Leicester's amazing free-kick and corner set-play systems. I really do think on many occasions it would have been better to just roll the ball back to the opposition keeper rather than going through those ridiculously rubbish procedures repeatedly. I can't even remember a single decent corner in all the games I saw. Not one. Sometimes I felt like Uri Geller hoping if I thought hard enough the ball would miraculously be on target. What a waste of brain cells that was.

If I had just coached a hand-picked lad for six years or so from age 13-19 or whatever and had to tell him he wasn't good enough for the first team I would be so depressed about where I'd gone wrong I would have to resign. But then if I presided over a team which took such ineffective free-kicks and corners as Leicester I'd have felt the same. And I'm not being facetious.

Before anyone asks, I am not saying that Kelly should feel the same.

If that was the case there'd be very few youth coaches still working. Players are told they're not good enough after being at clubs from an early age all the time. It's what happens. You can work with some people for many years and you won't be able to improve them even if you're a good coach. That's not particularly the case with Porter but if he doesn't make the breakthrough at some stage next season it'll probably be the end of his time with us. He'll know this and, as someone else said, he'll be working really hard when pre-season starts if he's got any sense. Even players who broke into the first team over the last few years were eventually told that they weren't good enough. Ashton, Reeves, Stevenson to name a few. It happens. You just have to make sure at least one academy player's coming through every season otherwise it's hardly worth the investment that it gets.

If that was the case there'd be very few youth coaches still working. Players are told they're not good enough after being at clubs from an early age all the time. It's what happens. You can work with some people for many years and you won't be able to improve them even if you're a good coach. That's not particularly the case with Porter but if he doesn't make the breakthrough at some stage next season it'll probably be the end of his time with us. He'll know this and, as someone else said, he'll be working really hard when pre-season starts if he's got any sense. Even players who broke into the first team over the last few years were eventually told that they weren't good enough. Ashton, Reeves, Stevenson to name a few. It happens. You just have to make sure at least one academy player's coming through every season otherwise it's hardly worth the investment that it gets.

I'm with you on that last bit except that we need at least two a season unless the one is exceptional.

Archived