lookwhaticando Posted 20 August 2006 Posted 20 August 2006 So I applied for a part time job two weeks ago - something to do for the last month of summer and then into the university semester. Last week I got a call, would I like to come on down for an interview? Yes, of course I would. So duly arranged an interview for Friday morning. Got there half an hour early (playing it just a bit safe at this point, the busses to this place run every 30 minutes, and didn't want to bank on the 11:30 being there at 11:30...). So I sat and relaxed for 30 minutes, trying to keep my cool (I have a terrible problem with nerves, when I'm nervous I overheat and basically drown in my own sweat. Pleasant imagary, I know, but just so you get the picture...) Go into the interview at about 11:40 (I was the last interview, so the others had overrun a little and pushed mine back... the bastards). But I was cool, relaxed, not even a hint of nervousness (which, frankly, is a miracle). I was even quite dry at the time. Anyways, the interview goes thru all the motions... so this is the job you're after... so here's some questions about your previous jobs... here's some 'scenario' questions, how do you deal with this and that... and then the dreaded two questions: 1) So where do you see yourself in 3 years time and what relavence does this position have towards that end? 2) What do you bring to the table, why should we hire you? I handled them reasonably well I think, so I had a decent sorta feeling about how things went. It was quite laid back, there was plenty of humour between myself, the Client Services manager, and his boss (director of ops). All in all, things seemed to be quite positive. I was informed that I'd get a response one way or another by Monday evening at the latest. Fantastic, I'm only on the hooks for a few days before I get an answer... nothing to worry about, and there'll be no dreaded silence... I will get a call... so much better than hearing nothing at all. Well... Today, the doubt set in. It's been a wierd day all in all. I was at work, having a reasonably productive day (this is at a furniture store, they call me in as and when they need me - I'm working on a bid for an embassy in the city). I felt like absolute shit by the time I got home, and I didn't really know why. :pinch: I've felt lifeless all evening, and I was just thinking about my upcoming 3rd (hopefully final) year at university. It then dawned on me... I just realized I'm in a bit of a hole. See, in first year, I coulda sworn I had done 5.5 credits (15 required total) and 4.5 in my second semester (10 in two years, on course for 15 in 3, easy!) Well, upon coming to register for classes this year, I realized that I had in fact only 9 credits, not 10. I'm a full credit behind, I've only *just* got 3rd year standing (9cr minimum). So this year, to get the 15 credits I need to complete, I gotta take 6 credits this year. That's what they call 'overloading' - taking more credits than normal. Needless to say, I'm hugely disappointed about it. I realize now that somewhere along the line, I've fooled myself into thinking I was on target when in fact I was falling behind by the semester. **** knows how I managed it. I've run enough ****ing degree audits to fill a Gmail account of disk space - and yet it never seemed to register. Well now it has, and let me tell you, it aint friggin' pretty. I've dug myself a hole over the course of two years, and now I face a struggle to get myself out in the next two semesters. If I struggle with grades while overloading, I'll have to drop them and take another semester later. That's not an option I wan't to consider, I want to get my credits and get done. So back to the interview... realizing the hole I find myself in, and the amount of time they want me to work, as well as the travelling involved just to get there (about 28 minutes each way to/from the place) - let alone the travelling I have to do to get to and from university too... I just can't be sure I can fit it all in. I have free days, but with the number of credits I'm taking (3 different Statistics class (that's my major) this semester, two more the next) I don't know how much of a courseload I will have outside the lecture halls. In essence, I think I'm up against it this year... and it's all my own ****ing fault... Isn't that just the worst? <_< That's my sob story, I just had to share it. Have no sympathy for me, it's all my own doing, and now I have to face up to the reality that I really screwed myself this time.
golden gordon Posted 20 August 2006 Posted 20 August 2006 i'm sure you'll be ok as you have accepted the responsibility for you own mistakes and working out plans to correct them, so good show and good luck
Dr The Singh Posted 20 August 2006 Posted 20 August 2006 i'm sure you'll be ok as you have accepted the responsibility for you own mistakes and working out plans to correct them, so good show and good luck Love the sig GG........................!!
Hullfox Posted 20 August 2006 Posted 20 August 2006 Seems to me that you've every chance to catch up because you're not in denial. Look at the situation as a positive. You've made a mistake, you've recognised it, you know what is needed to rectify it. Make sure that along the way you review the position to make sure you are doing what is needed to catch up. It will be valuable experience and if you succeed in overcoming the problem, it will provide you with some good anecdotal evidence of your capabilities in future interviews.
cisono Posted 20 August 2006 Posted 20 August 2006 Have no sympathy for me, it's all my own doing, and now I have to face up to the reality that I really screwed myself this time. Sorry to hear that. I understand it's your own doing but... aren't there university checks on this? (even if automated) Do you not have a personal tutor etc? I find it hard to believe that it is possible to find yourself in this situation without realising (not doubting your story, just wondering if some checks that should have been there were not there for some reason)...
lookwhaticando Posted 20 August 2006 Author Posted 20 August 2006 Sorry to hear that. I understand it's your own doing but... aren't there university checks on this? (even if automated) Do you not have a personal tutor etc? I find it hard to believe that it is possible to find yourself in this situation without realising (not doubting your story, just wondering if some checks that should have been there were not there for some reason)... There's no automated early-warning system for this. There's the degree audit program, you can run it whenever you want as often as you want to keep tabs on your progress through the requirements. This I did (a hundred times over) and it just never registered. There's nothing they could warn me about per se... I've not fallen behind in a glorious fashion... I have enough credits to label me a third year student (ie. one with third year standing). So on that front, things are still on course. The big automated alarm bell would be when you fall an extra part-credit behind - say finish with 8.5 rather than 9... that's when the warnings will kick in, because you fail to reach 3rd year standing, and that will stop you being able to register for 3rd year classes in some cases. That's when the school will warn you. You're along the right lines... I just didn't fall behind quite so spectacularly. S'pose that's a good thing. What's really got me is that I've singlehandedly, needlessly increased my course load by 33% this semester, and 50% next semester, by not being able to count to 10. :pinch: GG, Hullcox: thanks for that. I never really considered the flip-side of it. It's certainly a salvagable situation - it'll be a challenge, what with the increased course load, but I think I can beat it. Just not entirely sure that I'll make the dean's list this year (as I did last year, for the first time).
Guest Posted 20 August 2006 Posted 20 August 2006 Good luck, hope it all works out. I would just like a job interview, to be fair.
golden gordon Posted 20 August 2006 Posted 20 August 2006 Love the sig GG........................!! Thanks TS , it might be a bit too close to the truth though
lookwhaticando Posted 20 August 2006 Author Posted 20 August 2006 Thanks TS , it might be a bit too close to the truth though Take it you're in 'Stage Two' then :pinch:
golden gordon Posted 20 August 2006 Posted 20 August 2006 Take it you're in 'Stage Two' then :pinch: get back to work laddie , and don't be cheeky, and yes you are quite right
lookwhaticando Posted 20 August 2006 Author Posted 20 August 2006 get back to work laddie , and don't be cheeky, and yes you are quite right Judging by your sig, it won't get much better... only Stage 3 left. :pinch:
cisono Posted 20 August 2006 Posted 20 August 2006 Judging by your sig, it won't get much better... only Stage 3 left. :pinch: Hmm indeed!
lookwhaticando Posted 21 August 2006 Author Posted 21 August 2006 Well... today was originally judgement day... and judgement has been handed down regardless of my withdrawl (sortof) I got an email from the CSM there, in reply to the email I sent at an ungodly hour of day just a couple of days ago. He was rather positive about it, and he thanked me for informing him when I did rather than waiting. Seems that in all likliness, I was in a good position to take the job - until I pulled out. I have of course gone ahead and filled the position at this point but based on your excellent interview and experience I think you'd fit in very well here. So on the bright side, my resume and interview did the business, and it looks like the door has been left ajar, possibly to be opened later
Dr The Singh Posted 21 August 2006 Posted 21 August 2006 Well... today was originally judgement day... and judgement has been handed down regardless of my withdrawl (sortof) I got an email from the CSM there, in reply to the email I sent at an ungodly hour of day just a couple of days ago. He was rather positive about it, and he thanked me for informing him when I did rather than waiting. Seems that in all likliness, I was in a good position to take the job - until I pulled out. So on the bright side, my resume and interview did the business, and it looks like the door has been left ajar, possibly to be opened later All things good then!!!
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.