Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ikon_Klow

Information

Morning all

Just wondering if someone can give me a bit of ionformation on Dodds and Chambers.

I notice that Dodd's name is mentioned here as someone who should be pushing for a first team place.

Is he really that good?

Chambers: Last year everyone was raving about him where as he seems to have gone quiet this year so far. I note that he played for the U18's against Blackburn. Is he going to make it or was it just a flash in the pan?

Jay touches on thet truth when he mentions Chambers and school. I think his school might have had something to say about his football and his education last year and it seems he's been strictly low profile ever since.

But to answer your question Chambers suffered a knee injury for part of last season but was bagging his share of goals on his return, concluding with a continental tournament for England where he also scored if I remember right.

I've not seen him recently but have no reason to believe he's any different from the swift, skillful and efficient striker I remember. In short an excellent prospect.

Dodds? I'm not sure what you mean by "that good".

He seems to score at least one goal almost every time he plays. Someone mentioned 60-odd in two seasons for Academy and Reserves but I can't confirm that.

For him ever to "make it" someone's got to pick him and the trouble is he's easily dismissed. I went to a match recently with a good friend and a decent judge of football who commented along the lines that Dodds hadn't shown up much.

It was true and I said don't worry and that sooner or later he'll have at least three cracks at goal and will score from one. Sure enough, the shots came (and more as it transpired) and suddenly he'd scored twice (if memory serves).

In some ways Dodds and Chambers are similar. They're okay in other phases but really they are predators.

Chambers is faster but both just seem to turn up in the danger area utterly focused on finishing.

If Dodds gets a chance to play and unless he suddenly loses all his natural striking instincts, there's no reason he shouldn't succeed. He takes a decent free-kick and his game is simplicity itself. He has quick control and an accurate shot. Moreover he never does more than what's required to put the ball in the net. He doesn't blast it when a tap in will do.

That approach should stand up wherever.

Jay touches on thet truth when he mentions Chambers and school. I think his school might have had something to say about his football and his education last year and it seems he's been strictly low profile ever since.

But to answer your question Chambers suffered a knee injury for part of last season but was bagging his share of goals on his return, concluding with a continental tournament for England where he also scored if I remember right.

I've not seen him recently but have no reason to believe he's any different from the swift, skillful and efficient striker I remember. In short an excellent prospect.

Dodds? I'm not sure what you mean by "that good".

He seems to score at least one goal almost every time he plays. Someone mentioned 60-odd in two seasons for Academy and Reserves but I can't confirm that.

For him ever to "make it" someone's got to pick him and the trouble is he's easily dismissed. I went to a match recently with a good friend and a decent judge of football who commented along the lines that Dodds hadn't shown up much.

It was true and I said don't worry and that sooner or later he'll have at least three cracks at goal and will score from one. Sure enough, the shots came (and more as it transpired) and suddenly he'd scored twice (if memory serves).

In some ways Dodds and Chambers are similar. They're okay in other phases but really they are predators.

Chambers is faster but both just seem to turn up in the danger area utterly focused on finishing.

If Dodds gets a chance to play and unless he suddenly loses all his natural striking instincts, there's no reason he shouldn't succeed. He takes a decent free-kick and his game is simplicity itself. He has quick control and an accurate shot. Moreover he never does more than what's required to put the ball in the net. He doesn't blast it when a tap in will do.

That approach should stand up wherever.

Thanks very much

please no!!!

Chambers is still waiting for his GCSE results!!! so I wouldn't be to worried about him yet!!

I agree. People should just forget about Chambers for the time being and let him develop at his own pace. Part of me thinks that bringing him on against Blackpool last season was not the best of moves. It showed the other academy lads that they will be given chances at the club and that it doesn't matter how old you but it has brought Chambers to the attention of City supporters who otherwise would probably have heard very little about him and it's been almost non-stop questionning about him since.

I'm not saying he's not talented and I'm not saying he won't be a good player but having made an appearance for the first team some people thought he was going to be our version of Walcott at Southampton and be involved more often. I've not seen him train with the first team before, especially not so far this season, so as far as I'm aware he is still just one of the academy lads and it may well stay that way for another season, maybe longer.

Dodds has a much more realistic chance of breaking through at some stage this season, even if it's through a couple of sub appearances. He's involved with the first team, has a squad number and has been praised by Rob Kelly as part of the future of our club. Chamber's time will come eventually, just not yet and not this season either I'd wager.

Archived