Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Promotion race

Its been a concern of mine for a while now that we don't actually have enough quality players to match our fan bases expectations.

I don't doubt that this will change when we are taken over and we add another couple of loan signings to our squad

How many of our current squad would you identify as having the required quality to play as part of the first XI in a promotion chasing team?

Ive spent a while thinking about this and the only two that stand out for me are Kisnorbo and Cadamarteri.

You might think thats a bit pie in the sky saying Cadamarteri but I think he's looked bright when a lease of life when he's played, all be it minor 10 minutes here and there. I just love to see a bit more of him. He has a natural talent and we need to use it.

A lot would depend on the manager, and I'm firmly of the view that RK would not be able to lead a team to promotion at any time in the near future, even with the modest (but significant) improvment in resources we might be able to expect following MM's take over ("if and when" of course)... but under the right manager and with the right coaching staff behind them...

Paddy Kisnorbo.

Gareth McAuley.

Danny Tiatto (shame he's gone at the end of the season).

Richard Stearman (he could really flourish under the right manager IMHO, and be great rather than half decent).

Levi Porter.

Nissa (gone at the end of the season, if anyone in the prem would take him... but i cant see that happening so i could see him taking a new contract).

Hume (on his day, but again i think he'd really benifit from a good manager).

Logan (though not as first choice keeper, its a huge shame we missed out on Hoult IMHO).

Beyond that I cant think of any of our players would could realistically play any kind of meaningful role in a promotion push, the good news is (if it was played consistently) our back four would be fairly solid, the real worry is how lightweight and fragile our midfield and strikers are, though I'm sure Toderov and O'Brein could sort that lol! lol:ph34r:

If MM finally turns up and we then get a million or 3 to build a squad with promotion in mind next season, we would have to do a major over-haul of the squad and not that many would stay. If you look at the quality of the top 8 of the championship that tells us that there will be some good sides staying down. Couple that with the decent sides who will be relegated from the prem who come down with an amazing parachute payment (we may get Charlton and or the Hammers), then we get to realise what we really need to do next season, money permitting.

I`d probably keep Hume, Kisnorbo, Stearman (potentially a very good right-back), Fryatt and McAuley (both as a back-up) and Hughes. I`d also keep some of the other youngsters like Levi and Weso in the hope they progress.

The MM takeover is so important for us if we want to challenge next season or else the best we could realistically hope for is mid-table obscurity.

As much I support the team, I wouldn't be keeping too many if the team gets promoted, especially not with MM's money if it came.

I do however reckon we should award those who have shown something special and could be very useful for our club. I would therefore go for

- Kisnorbo

- McCauley

- Stearman

- Hume

- Hughes

I would also take Fryatt and Henderson for backup and Weso and Levi for up and coming players, along with Yeates if it goes well.

The rest could do it if they were a bit more capable or had a bit more work ethic at times... but with extra money, I'd want some experience and superstars as well.

The rest could do it if they were a bit more capable or had a bit more work ethic at times...

You could say that of any player to be honest... but by and large i agree with you.

To be honest, assuming the take-over goes through, it'll be a season or two before we're capable of a really strong promotion push, but i think changes will begin in the summer and are likley to start with an overhaul of the coaching staff starting with the manager, just cant see MM keeping RK or Stowell frankly.

Archived