Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Matt

Cheating Referee

A football referee in Germany has resigned over allegations of match-fixing.

Robert Hoyzer, 25, is suspected of betting on a cup tie last August, in which top division Hamburg lost to lower-ranked Paderborn.

Mr Hoyzer gave Paderborn two penalties, and sent off a Hamburg player.

Germany's Football Association said there was evidence of manipulation in other games involving Mr Hoyzer. He denies any wrongdoing.

The association is holding an emergency meeting on Monday.

Spokesman Harald Stenger said : "We will leave no stone unturned in this investigation."

In the match at the centre of the allegations, Hamburg took a 2-0 lead but went on to lose 4-2.

Mr Hoyzer sent off Hamburg striker Emile Mpenza for insulting him, and awarded two penalties to the regional league side.

Hamburg were bottom of the Bundesliga at the time, after losing their first two games.

Manager Klaus Toppmoeller was later sacked - and he now blames his dismissal on Mr Hoyzer.

"The referee cost me my job," Mr Toppmoeller told Bild newspaper on Sunday.

"I always hoped that football was clean but you have to doubt that now."

It is the biggest scandal in German football since 1971 when the Bundesliga was hit by a big match-fixing scandal.

Archived