Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Scarby

The Pope

Pope John Paul II's condition has stabilised following overnight hospital treatment that included respiratory assistance, the Vatican has said.

The 84-year-old pontiff was rushed to Rome's Gemelli hospital with breathing difficulties on Tuesday night after a bout of influenza suddenly worsened.

In a statement, the Vatican said the condition of the Pope's heart and lungs were "within normal limits".

A spokesman added that the Pope had never lost consciousness.

Joaquin Navarro-Valls said the Polish-born pontiff still had a slight fever on Wednesday morning but had nonetheless participated in a Mass from his hospital bed.

"I think everyone has to be calm because there is no reason for alarm today," Mr Navarro-Valls told reporters outside the hospital on Wednesday morning.

The Pope suffers from Parkinson's disease and painful joint conditions.

He was forced to cancel all engagements for several days after coming down with flu on Sunday, although he made his regular midday appearance at his window overlooking St Peter's Square.

He will miss his weekly audience on Wednesday for the first time since September 2003, when he had an intestinal ailment.

Breathing crisis

The Pope was taken by ambulance to the Gemelli hospital at about 2300 local time (2200 GMT) on Tuesday.

Journalists outside the Gemelli hospital in Rome

Reporters have converged on the hospital to get more details

"The flu which has been affecting the Holy Father for three days was complicated with acute inflammation of the larynx and laryngo-spasm," Mr Navarro-Valls said in statement at the time.

Laryngo-spasm is a closure of the larynx that blocks the passage of air to the lungs - a condition where one cannot catch one's breath.

The Pope is being cared for in the same room at the hospital where he has been treated several times before.

JOHN PAUL II

1920: Born Karol Wojtyla near Krakow, Poland

1946: Ordained a priest

1964: Appointed Archbishop of Krakow

1978: Elected Pope and takes name of John Paul II

Profile: Pope John Paul II

It is the same hospital where he recovered from an attempt on his life in 1981, when he was shot in the abdomen.

Vatican sources say a contingency plan was made for the Pope to be taken to hospital if he fell victim to the current flu epidemic sweeping Italy. A set of rooms is always reserved for him on the 10th floor.

Tireless traveller

The appointment of Karol Wojtyla as the first Polish Pope in 1978 was in many ways seen as a groundbreaking move for the Roman Catholic Church.

The first non-Italian Pope in 455 years - and at 58, the youngest Pope of the 20th Century - he was little known outside Vatican circles, and few experts tipped him as successor to Pope John Paul, who died after only 33 days in office.

John Paul II is now in the 27th year of his pontificate which makes him almost the longest-reigning Pope in history.

A 19th Century Pope occupied St Peter's throne for more than 30 years and no-one knows exactly how long the first Pope, St Peter, lived.

John Paul II - the leader of the world's estimated one billion Catholics - has visited more than 100 countries, and is estimated to have effectively circled the globe 27 times.

I feel no matter what is being said the pope wont last much longer!!

I wish him well anyway i have full respect for him.

I think it's appaling an old man heads up the catholic church.

Scrap the pope and scrap catholicism., or at least try and bring it in line with the modern world.

I am not catholic but my mum and her family are both catholic and polish so absolute adore the pope - I've even been blessed by him.

I am not catholic but my mum and her family are both catholic and polish so absolute adore the pope - I've even been blessed by him.

62020[/snapback]

ahh bless ;)

regarding the pope, i hear that after the 12th or 13th (or some other number) pope dies the world will end (some catholic legend) so they're gonna try and keep him going for as long as they can :ermm:

actually what i ment by world will end ment to read jesus' second coming will occur

Archived