Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Chocolate Teapot

The significance of Mattock?

I could be getting vastly ahead of myself but it does seem to me that the emergence of mattock is a very good omen for this club.

A lot of sides who have been promoted or made the playoffs in the last few years seem to have had a homegrown young player at the fore.

Portsmouth had it with gary o'neill

Southampton have had it with bale

Forest had it with dawson

derby have had it barnes

watford - ashley young

I am sure there are many many others.

Is this just a coincedence or not. My view is that an exciting home grown hot prospect can play a huge role in galvanising support and inspiring the other members of the team.

I hope Joe plays a massive role next season as he has already shown masses of promise in this one.

I would be interested to know your thoughts on this.

I agree,

when a local lad is doing well in the team it does seem to get a lot of people going, recently weve had quite a few players who dont deserve the shirt so when a homegrown player puts the effort in supporters really appreciate it.

Im sure some people will say he's unproven, still too young etc... But i personally am quite optimistic about him, he could def have a big part in this clubs future, and Weso-I know he's not homegrown but i think next season will be massive for him too.

I agree,

when a local lad is doing well in the team it does seem to get a lot of people going, recently weve had quite a few players who dont deserve the shirt so when a homegrown player puts the effort in supporters really appreciate it.

Im sure some people will say he's unproven, still too young etc... But i personally am quite optimistic about him, he could def have a big part in this clubs future, and Weso-I know he's not homegrown but i think next season will be massive for him too.

It's taken time. There was so much resistence to them, still is in some quarters, and even now there are people who would sooner have Lennon than Wesolowski, Tiatto instead of Porter, Nils (at left-back) instead of anyone and Logan replaced in goal (for whatever reason).

At least now though the balance seems to have changed and instead of the usual carping that they are young young, too small, too inexperienced or not ready yet, the mood gradually seems to have become much more positive.

The Academy winning their Championship has nurtured some pride and respect in the Under 18's and the enthusiasm for Mattock in the England Under 17 tournament has been tangible.

Support will never be universal - purchased imports will always be perceived as more glamorous - but I do think the relative success of our five young first teamers has enabled some fans at least to have trust in them and to accept that they really can play a bit.

Hopefully our youngsters will continue to play an important part for years to come now there's a crop of relatively successful graduates to provide incentive for others.

It will be harder for them in future, no doubt, because the bar will surely be lifted under MM.

But the expected return of the Reserves should help and so long as the new manager has a commitment to youth development I feel much more optimistic about our future than I have for a long time.

Archived