Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Attack is key to Allen's success

Well we've seen some MKD's fans don't quite see it this way :dunno: and it looks like no new additions this week as he's on holiday.

From the Merc

Attack is key to Allen's success Leicester City's new manager Martin Allen has been quick to deny that he deserves the long-ball tag some have put on him.

It is natural to assume someone as animated and positive on the touchline transmits a similar no-nonsense, up-and-at-em approach to his charges on the field.

But Allen describes the style of play earmarked for City as "mixed'' and points to a high-tempo, high-scoring method which has worked well everywhere he has been.

His transformation of MK Dons, for example, meant they led League Two for goals scored, 76, and shots on target, 260.

Allen said: "Our two strikers got their chances from two wingers because that is how we played. I would describe my style of play as mixed because different games need different tactics.

"But overall it is designed to produce attacking football with goals at the end of it. The two front men got around 20 goals each (Izale McLeod 25 and Clive Platt 18) and that was the basis for our success. We won 26 games on the strength of that, and that is what I am wanting to see here.

"Leicester won only 13 games last season and obviously that is not good enough. I don't want to be disrespectful to those who were here before but my job is to move things forward.''

So, even though tight defence is the foundation of success in the Championship, bright, attacking football looks like being in store for the City faithful.

Allen's arrival has been treated positively and the next thing the fans are keeping an eye on is new signings.

Allen already has several in mind but their arrival may have to wait until next week because the new boss is on a family holiday booked long before the move to City.

But he will be working hard right up until the beginning of July, when the players return to training, to give himself the best chance of success.

Well we've seen some MKD's fans don't quite see it this way :dunno: and it looks like no new additions this week as he's on holiday.

From the Merc

Whether he wants to be disrespectful or not he's basically saying the strikeforce was crap and he's going to change it.

Sounds pretty disrespectful to me - but exactly as you'd hope for and expect.

And for exactly the right reasons...the statistics.

However you excuse it - fitness, injury, lack of service, defensive tactics, the end product in goals was never ever going to allow us to compete at the top of the table.

Allen recognises that and I presume will find someone's who's statistics offer more reason for optimism.

Holiday=============== -2 points.

Striker resolve========== +2 points.

Old, past his best CH offer..... -1 point.

From the Merc

What?..We want to sign you and know there are several clubs after your services but the boss is in a caravan in Mablethorpe and can't be disturbed so could you wait a week and he'll send you a postcard and bring back a stick of rock!... don't make me laugh.. :whistle:

Lets hope he turns his words into actions. You can say these things but then struggle to do it.

On the other hand, i'm positive that he can do it.

Very good track record as gaffa and it shows at Barnet, Brentford, MK Dons.

"But overall it is designed to produce attacking football with goals at the end of it. The two front men got around 20 goals each (Izale McLeod 25 and Clive Platt 18) and that was the basis for our success. We won 26 games on the strength of that, and that is what I am wanting to see here.

Imagine that -

Iain Hume 26 goals

Matty Fryatt - 20 Goals

:whistle::cool:

Mmm well lets put it this way the goals scored do indicate something. Nearly 1.7 per game isn't bad. And he's right different tactics, something we haven't seen in ages. Levein's 4-5-1, Kelly's 4-4-2 defensive. Here's to a decent variable game.

Mmm well lets put it this way the goals scored do indicate something. Nearly 1.7 per game isn't bad. And he's right different tactics, something we haven't seen in ages. Levein's 4-5-1, Kelly's 4-4-2 defensive. Here's to a decent variable game.

Until he buys Jude Stirling, then you will play for throw-ins and just launch the ball into the box. :D

It will be interesting to see how he does with a different squad of players.

As long as we get people who score goals then fine, I'd rather watch us win 4-3 every week than draw 0-0. At least that way it'll be worth your money getting a season ticket !!

You should be very careful mentioning 4-3's on here. Far too risky.

Besides, don't you read. Close to 80% on here reckon four goals a season is plenty for a striker.

That's four goals a season, not four goals a week! :whistle::D

Under Allen the MK Dons got loads of goals but they also conceded shed loads too. Defensively, we had one of the worst records in the top half of the league due to a very direct style our defence would often be left very exposed. It's a style that also lost us too many games that we should've won.

It's definitely a style of football that you couldn't sustain in the Championship.

Two key positions that Allen didn't sort out properly at the Dons was a decent keeper and a right back. Jamie Smith was brought in on the right but spent most of the season injured. Lack of decent cover in those areas seemed to contribute to defensive frailties.

Archived