Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
robcmar

Goalkeeper from late 1950's -early 60's

Trying to find out some details of a goalkeeper who I think played in the late 1950's/early 1960's whose first name is Norman. No other information I'm afraid. Has anyone got info or know where i could find it ? Cheers.

The regular goalkeepers during the 50s early 60s were Johnny Anderson, Dave McLaren (From of foxes & fossils) & Gordon Banks the only Norman I'm aware of from the early 60s is Richie Norman a FB.

You might do better to ask this on Bentleys.

Trying to find out some details of a goalkeeper who I think played in the late 1950's/early 1960's whose first name is Norman. No other information I'm afraid. Has anyone got info or know where i could find it ? Cheers.

We had a LB called Richie Norman back then didnt we?

It's a bit difficult to think of second goalkeepers since we had Banks and Shilton in goal around that time.

Thanks for that. He was definitely a goalkeeper, eventually became a PE teacher. Perhaps he was second choice behind Peter Shilton. What is Bentleys ?

Shilton didn't start playing the 1st team until the mid 60s

I've looked in OF&Fs through each season of players used and I can't see anyone called Norman, but it was a fairly quick look.

Bentleys Roof is another LCFC forum where most of the members are older and some even much older than moi!

http://www.fansonlin...ty/mb/index.php

there's a Norman Plummer who played for us in the late 40s early 50s and although an all-rounder CF/CH not a goal keeper

Thanks for that. He was definitely a goalkeeper, eventually became a PE teacher. Perhaps he was second choice behind Peter Shilton. What is Bentleys ?

the goalkeeper i remember as reserve in that era was Colin Mackleworth

One useless fact I remember from my youth is that we once beat Mansfield Town 4-0 in the League Cup. The goalkeeper in that match never played for us again, so he had the distinction of never letting in a goal during his entire Filbert Street career. Unfortunately I can't remember his name so it could be a complete red herring. I've looked up League Cup results and that match was in 1960.

Also I remember Gordon Banks saying in his autobiography that when Matt Gillies signed him there were already several keepers at the club, so he assumed he would have to wait before getting a chance in the first team. So this Norman might never have played.

Sorry I can't be more help.

One useless fact I remember from my youth is that we once beat Mansfield Town 4-0 in the League Cup. The goalkeeper in that match never played for us again, so he had the distinction of never letting in a goal during his entire Filbert Street career. Unfortunately I can't remember his name so it could be a complete red herring. I've looked up League Cup results and that match was in 1960.

Also I remember Gordon Banks saying in his autobiography that when Matt Gillies signed him there were already several keepers at the club, so he assumed he would have to wait before getting a chance in the first team. So this Norman might never have played.

Sorry I can't be more help.

According to OF&Fs Rodney Slack

The regular goalkeepers during the 50s early 60s were Johnny Anderson, Dave McLaren & Gordon Banks

I remember watching all those goalkeepers from 1954-1964, but I don't remember seeing any others.

Archived