Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Molson Canadian

Canero Joins New York Metrostars Of MLS

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/tm_obje...-name_page.html

FOOTBALL: MO CAN KICK-START CAREER Aug 3 2005

MO JOHNSTON could fast forward Peter Canero's career in New York after Craig Levein killed his dream of making it big in England.

The former Kilmarnock defender has a verbal offer to join New York Metro Stars, the side Johnston coaches in the MSL, on a short-term contract.

That would allow him to regain his confidence in the States then return in time for January's transfer window.

Three SPL clubs have also come in for Canero since Levein last week agreed a compensation package to terminate the player's contract. But Canero sees English football as unfinished business because circumstances conspired to prevent him showing the potential Leicester City bought when they paid £250,000 for him.

He said: 'I had 22 Scotland Under-21 caps. I had also been picked for the Scotland Future squad six times and my name was being linked with a move to Celtic.

'But the lure of the Premiership was too great to resist.'

However, ambition turned to frustration following injury and a change of management. When Levein replaced Micky Adams after Leicester were relegated the Scot brought in several new players and Canero felt he was fighting a losing battle for a first-team place.

He said: 'I'll never regret the decision to go to England. I know I can do so much more than I've been allowed to show so far.

'I could take the offer of a short-term agreement in America and then return to test the interest in me from north and south of the border when the winter window opens

I hope he does well, I have always been a fan of his despite his injury problems. I hope he gets back to the form that attracted him to Leicester and shows what a good player he can be.

There's already been a thread about this and no, Canero hasn't joined the MetroStars, and if Metro knows what's good for them, they won't touch him.

That's the same paper that spun a silly story about Neil Barrett coming over to play for Metro, but those discussions never got serious.

The paper can't even spell the team's name right let alone get the league's acronym in correct order, so why should I believe this rumor?

Mo Johnston is the assistant manager--he can't go bring players in whenever he'd like. This move ain't gonna happen.

Archived