Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Gené and Tonic

Kerr axed as Rebublic of Ireland manager

click here

Or for you lasy bastards :P

Kerr is axed as Republic manager

Brian Kerr's tenure as Republic of Ireland manager has ended after the FAI decided not to renew his contract.

Tuesday night's announcement from the Football Association of Ireland comes after the Republic failed to qualify for the 2006 World Cup finals.

It was widely expected that Kerr, who took over from Mick McCarthy in January 2003, would be axed from the post.

Sir Bobby Robson, Sir Alex Ferguson, David O'Leary, Martin O'Neill and Kenny Dalglish have been linked with the job.

Robson, Ferguson and O'Leary have each played down speculation that they will replace Kerr.

The scoreless draw against Switzerland in Dublin last Wednesday ended the Republic's hopes of making the finals in Germany.

FAI chief executive John Delaney explained the reasons behind the decision, which was taken at a 10-man board meeting in Dublin.

"The board is aware of Brian's committment to Irish football in the past at underage level and domestic level," he told RTE.

"But the board decided it was time for a change and we will commence looking for a new manager on Wednesday morning.

"The view was that performances and results were not what we hoped for.

"Our Fifa ranking has dropped and our co-efficient in terms of European qualification has dropped from two to four - they were key issues.

"We took the emotion out of the issue and made a business decision effectively."

Delaney said names of possible successors were not mentioned in the meeting but he believes they will get the right man.

He added: "We have to look forward now - we are looking for a successful manager who can lead us to the next tournament.

"I am confident there will be a number of successful people who will look to take this job.

"It is a high profile job, we have good players and we are confident of getting a decent manager."

tbh I'd quite like to see how O'Neill did in the job.

im not lasy! Lazy, yes but not lasy!

anyways...i think thats the wrong move from the FAI. Its the players that are the problem, there havent been enought youngsters coming through and so they have struggled. The next coach will be wokring with the same players and they will struggle just as Kerr has IMO.

O'Neill: Count me out

By NEIL O’RIORDAN

MARTIN O’NEILL has ruled himself out of the Republic of Ireland job to care for his sick wife.

The former Celtic chief had been tipped to replace Brian Kerr, who was axed as boss following Ireland’s failure to reach the World Cup Finals.

But O’Neill insisted he was in no position to return to football and would continue to look after Geraldine, who is suffering from cancer. He said: “I left Celtic months ago, obviously for personal reasons, and for a sabbatical out of football for a while.

“Now these circumstances haven’t changed one jot and at the moment I can’t see them changing in the fore- seeable future.â€Â

But O’Neill insisted Republic chiefs had been WRONG not to keep Kerr as manager despite their failure to reach the finals in Germany.

O’Neill said: “My own view is that Brian Kerr was very unlucky not to have had his contract renewed.

“I think it was a tough group, I don’t care what you say. Some people might question the strength of the opposition but France are a quality side. Make no mistake about it.â€Â

The Irish finished fourth in their group behind France, Switzerland and Israel.

But O’Neill insists being manager of the Republic is so tough because of the small number of top-class players available.

He said: “The Republic have done fantastically well in recent years.

“If I go back to my time as captain of Northern Ireland, when we had a really decent team, we had some world-class players playing.

No chance now of him taking up the post

Archived