Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Alexikokopops

Lineker backs O'Neill for England

Lineker backs O'Neill for England

BBC presenter Gary Lineker believes the Football Association should appoint former Celtic boss Martin O'Neill as coach Sven-Goran Eriksson's successor.

O'Neill, 53, left Celtic to spend more time with his sick wife Geraldine.

Lineker, writing in his Sunday Telegraph column said: "I don't know whether he would be interested in the job, but he's perfectly qualified.

"He played at the highest level and as a manager worked his way up from the bottom. For God's sake he's a genius."

Eriksson has a contract until 2008, but many believe he will quit the job immediately after Germany 2006.

O'Neill has ruled himself out of the running for the vacant Republic of Ireland job due to his wife's illness.

If O'Neill is not unavailable, former England striker Lineker thinks the Football Association could do worse than appoint Manchester City manager Stuart Pearce.

"I think Pearce would be a very interesting choice," added Lineker.

"Be it as a player or a manager, he has worn his heart on his sleeve. He's quite quirky as a manager, which I like.

"He's also honest and dependable, and doesn't stand for any bad behaviour or arguing with referees.

"Someone with those sort of credentials is just what you want in a position of power, where you have a greater responsibility to the game.

"I think the best managers have always been those who instil either fear or a lot of respect in players, like Sir Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho and Arsene Wenger for example.

"And Pearce is the same. I can tell you from personal experience - he's very scary to face."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/4433174.stm

Archived