Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Darth Fox

Minute's Applause

Henry Winter was on Talk Sport this morning saying that the minutes applause that they used instead of a minutes silence for George Best is probably going to become the norm for late football idols. I reckon that's a great idea as far better to celebrate a life than be all morbid and someone always spoils a minutes silence anyway either by chatter or mobile phone ringing. I remember being at Walkers on season we went up with 32,000 in the ground and all u could here was text message alerts. Disgusting it was, far better to drown out with some applause.

Henry Winter was on Talk Sport this morning saying that the minutes applause that they used instead of a minutes silence for George Best is probably going to become the norm for late football idols. I reckon that's a great idea as far better to celebrate a life than be all morbid and someone always spoils a minutes silence anyway either by chatter or mobile phone ringing. I remember being at Walkers on season we went up with 32,000 in the ground and all u could here was text message alerts. Disgusting it was, far better to drown out with some applause.

I agree, I wish the applause could've drowned Henry Hornblower out on Saturday though :mad:

Spot on. Much more fitting. The Kop did themselves credit...as they did all afternoon.

It also gives people who for whatever reason don't wish to pay their respects (it is a democracy), the opportunity to opt out silently without offending those around them. It seems like the ideal solution.

On the subject of 1-minute silences/applauses at football matches, I think the concept has become too commonplace now to the the extent that its being devalued.

I think the following should apply:

Major events/deaths of non-footballing persons - no applause/silence. We can choose our own response away from the ground, thank you. If its not football related, forget it. No matter what.

Footballing events/deaths of great wider significance (the passing of legends (ie Best), Hillsbrough etc) - a minute's applause to be observed by those that want to.

Individual clubs to honour their own as appropriate, but only for those of legendary status (iconic players/managers) or perhaps the death of a fan at a ground. The death of the kitman/tea lady/reserve team hypnotist, however sad, is not relevant.

It also gives people who for whatever reason don't wish to pay their respects (it is a democracy), the opportunity to opt out silently without offending those around them. It seems like the ideal solution.

On the subject of 1-minute silences/applauses at football matches, I think the concept has become too commonplace now to the the extent that its being devalued.

I think the following should apply:

Major events/deaths of non-footballing persons - no applause/silence. We can choose our own response away from the ground, thank you. If its not football related, forget it. No matter what.

Footballing events/deaths of great wider significance (the passing of legends (ie Best), Hillsbrough etc) - a minute's applause to be observed by those that want to.

Individual clubs to honour their own as appropriate, but only for those of legendary status (iconic players/managers) or perhaps the death of a fan at a ground. The death of the kitman/tea lady/reserve team hypnotist, however sad, is not relevant.

This sounds like it could be a Smiths song, however what about if its a legendary kitman? Whos served the club for 50 odd years? Where do you draw the line?

This sounds like it could be a Smiths song, however what about if its a legendary kitman? Whos served the club for 50 odd years? Where do you draw the line?

Maybe in the next world? :cool:

I suppose the common thing that brings all football suporters together in one place at the same time is to watch a game of football between two teams of 11 men, managed by two other blokes. Everything else is secondary to that.

We'll end up honouring the death of the chairman of East Midlands Electricity whose product has powered our floodlights all these years. If it's on the pitch, then its relevant. :thumbup:

And I think "My Legendary Kitman" was by Pulp? :P

Archived