Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Milky

Eriksson caught in tabloid sting

i really dont get the english press. this is the year that you have a really good chance to win a major tournement since 1966 but as usual the press bring up a story that puts pressure on some kind of aspect of the team that just adds to the pressure. why cant they just leave the team to it and let them get on with it.

Let me tell you some of the facts that lie behind this story and I'll give you a little idle speculation of my own.

It's been an open secret for sometime now that there are powerful people at the FA who want Sven out. They feel that Sven is doing very little for his £4.2 million per year and that he is a major sex pest at FA HQ.

One of those powerful people is a Mr Ken Bates who has been doing his utmost to get Sven to fall on his sword so that the FA don't have to pay out zillions on his contract (by doing his utmost I mean resorting to dirty tricks).

Now I can't say for sure whether Ms Fire Alarm was a dirty trick but one couldn't help get the feeling in the early days of the scandal someone behind the scenes was milking it for all it was worth to get Sven to do the only honourable thing he would have ever done in his life - resign.

But I can say for sure that Sven's tete-a tete with Chelsea was a dirty trick because the Sun's snappers were in prime position to capture the sneaky Swede on celluloid as he walked into Kenyon's pad. Shortly after this, Bates appears as a guest columnist for the said Sun newspaper (the column is dropped after a couple of weeks).

The reason why Bates resorted to such underhand methods is because Sven had publicly assured Bates that he would honour his then contract to stay with England until the 2006 World Cup. Bates, through his remaining contacts at the Bridge, knew he was lying. Unfortunately for Bates, his feeble minded colleagues at the FA, inexplicably terrified at the prospect of a Svenless England, decided to reward the Swede for his treachery and upped the terms and length of his contract.

It is quite obvious that Bates has a very close working relationship with News International (owners of the Sun and the News of the World). So Bates engineers another plot. Why not the Fake Sheikh - it's brought bigger people than Sven to their knees?

But all this was plotted (and much of it executed) months ago, around the time of our defeat to Northern Ireland. Since then, England have qualified impressively for the World Cup. For this reason I feel, the News of the World sat on the story. They could not be seen to be responsible for destroying player morale on the eve of the World Cup. Then suddenly they decide to publish the story. Why?

We can only guess...so how about this. We have a much bigger story doing the rounds at the moment - A REAL STORY. But everyone either doesn't want to touch it or they are trying to downplay it or they are trying to discredit and ruin the career of the source.

Only one hack at the Daily Express (Harry Harris) hinted at what was just at the very tip of this iceberg of a scandal - a £3.5 Million bung gratefully received by a Premiership chairman - in a little sidebar piece.

You see, it's payback time for Mr Murdoch. In return for getting virtually exclusive rights to football coverage for SKY and all his rags (Sun and News of the World) there's got to be a little quid pro quo with all those big, powerful clubs that are pouring money down his trousers. He's got to stop a little runt of a manager putting a few logs in front of the gravy train. Better run a piece of dubious journalism to divert public attention away from backhanders, bungs and bribes...

Poor old Newell whatever was he thinking? Didn't he realise what he was up against? He'll have plenty of time for reflection now because he's probably kissed a very promising career in football goodbye.

Unless, just like New Labour's ethical foreign policy, there's an ethical chairman out there(chortle, chortle).

Archived