Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Pick the bones Out of That!

From Sky:

No-one likes to see managers lose their jobs but I don't think either Craig Levein or Leroy Rosenior can have too many complaints.

Both find themselves out of work this week and both decisions were right for Leicester and Torquay and in all honesty, the managers as well.

People might look at it and say Levein didn't get enough time, but I would disagree. He had practically two seasons at the Walkers Stadium and to be honest, he never really seemed to adjust to the game down here.

When he first came in he brought plenty of players from Scotland, like Alan Maybury (who started down here of course), Mark de Vries and Rab Douglas, who have not done badly and Stephen Hughes from Rangers, who I do like the look of.

But he also brought some players in from a lower level who haven't quite worked out, like Ian Hulme and I just think Levein suffered from not knowing the Championship or the Football League.

levein_conductor.jpg

By the same token, I'll admit I don't know him either. Going around the grounds as I do, I usually get to know the managers and have a chat whenever I see them, but Craig Levein struck me as a quiet and perhaps shy person, and I never really got to know him or his thoughts on football.

But I am sure, if you asked him for a realistic assessment of what has happened at Leicester this season, hand on heart he would tell you how disappointing it's been. Leicester City Football Club should not be where they are, it's as simple as that and I am sure he will hold his hands up.

You can see just why the board decided enough was enough. They simply cannot afford to drop out of the Championship, but that is the very real prospect facing them after a run of 10 games without a win.

What makes that run even harder to fathom is that not so long ago, they were producing that stirring second-half comeback to knock Tottenham out of the FA Cup and that really should have kickstarted their season. It didn't and now they have to hope a new manager can give the place a lift.

I would like to see an up-and-coming manager get the job and certainly one that knows the division well, and the Coca-Cola League well. They also need someone who the fans can empathise with, because Levein and Leicester City never really seemed to hit it off.

Gary McAllister is still a hero there. He has had a crack at managing before with Coventry and if he fancies it he strikes me as the ideal man to come in.

Archived