Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stand Up Sit Down

Hiding in the Shadow of Hillsborough

How on earth having all-seater stadia is a mark of respect to those that died at Hillsborough? People didn't die as a result of terracing. As has been shown, time and time again, other factors were the central causes.

Christ all mighty!!! you know, i'd just be repeating myself anyway, obviously your not getting it!

My family see it as a mark of respect - evidently - ok!

Christ all mighty!!! you know, i'd just be repeating myself anyway, obviously your not getting it!

My family see it as a mark of respect for my uncle - evidently - ok!

As much as I'm sorry to hear that your uncle was killed at Hillsborough, as I am that anyone was, I can't agree with the sentiment that all-seater should be a mark of respect. And I'll repeat again, terracing wasn't the cause of the disaster.

Surely the greatest mark of respect is ensuring that no fan ever dies at a football match again. That didn't mean sacrificing terracing. Surely the best thing would have to put more safeguards in place, not by banning it.

Besdies, I suspect an ulterior motive, as Frenzied has mentioned. Look at the football culture during the time of the disaster. And coupled with comments from the police in recent years when the reintroduction of terracing is mentioned. To paraphrase, it's along the lines of "it's much easy to identify actual and suspected troublemakers in an all seater arena than it ever was with terracing".

Surely the greatest mark of respect is ensuring that no fan ever dies at a football match again. That didn't mean sacrificing terracing. Surely the best thing would have to put more safeguards in place, not by banning it.

Besdies, I suspect an ulterior motive, as Frenzied has mentioned. Look at the football culture during the time of the disaster. And coupled with comments from the police in recent years when the reintroduction of terracing is mentioned. To paraphrase, it's along the lines of "it's much easy to identify actual and suspected troublemakers in an all seater arena than it ever was with terracing".

I think some terracing should be reintroduced to Football grounds but not on the scale of the past when three sides of most grounds were terraced with just one side of seating. An equal mix of both could be easily achieved at most modern stadiums as long as adequate safety measures are put in place.

"My lovely son Kevin did not die because of standing on terraces, he died because of the lack of control and care by South Yorkshire Police. I believe terraces are safe without perimeter fences. Standing never killed anybody, cages and treating people like animals did." Anne Williams, chair of Hillsborough Justice Campaign, mother of 15-year-old Kevin, who died in pen three.

Lisa is right, the best tribute to the dead is to ensure that nobody ever dies again. If the Germans can have safe standing areas in their grounds, there is no real reason why we shouldn't. The technology is there and the security system is there and so is CCTV...

It stands on moral ground that, as a show of respect to all those who died so tragically on that day - WE DO NOT OVERTURN THE DECISION TO HAVE ALL SEATER STADIA BY LAW

Quite right. And...

In respect of all those who died so tragically on Septmber 11 2001 I shouldn't go to work in an office tomorrow.

In respect of all those who died so tragically in car accidents we should all walk forever more.

In respect of those who have died in all the pointless wars in the history of time we should not fight in those that matter.

Due to a tragic chain of events at Hillsborough we should ban Alcohol, the police, fences, grass, Sheffield, Liverpool fans, steps, concrete, and anything else you can think of that happened to be there on the day.

Where dos it end? And why should it start with the persecution of football fans? <_<

Quite right. And...

In respect of all those who died so tragically on Septmber 11 2001 I shouldn't go to work in an office tomorrow.

In respect of all those who died so tragically in car accidents we should all walk forever more.

In respect of those who have died in all the pointless wars in the history of time we should not fight in those that matter.

Due to a tragic chain of events at Hillsborough we should ban Alcohol, the police, fences, grass, Sheffield, Liverpool fans, steps, concrete, and anything else you can think of that happened to be there on the day.

Where dos it end? And why should it start with the persecution of football fans? <_<

Spot on, even if you might have gone OTT :ermm:

The disaster was used by the powers-that-be as a tool to further persecute football fans. Not one politician or beauraucrat will ever be able to convince me that standing isn't safe when Germany, a country with a similar record of hooliganism, can provide safe standing and well policed terraces.

Archived