Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Milky

Taylor keen on England job

The following from www.sportinglife.com

England Under-21 boss Peter Taylor says he would be keen to succeed Sven-Goran Eriksson after the World Cup.

Taylor has impressed many with his work in charge of the under-21s, and he has guided Hull into the Coca-Cola Championship after taking over when they were in the old Division Three in October 2002.

Although he is not thought to be a front-runner for the senior England post, Taylor would relish the opportunity - and he has some experience after taking charge of the England side beaten 1-0 by Italy in a friendly in November 2000.

"I couldn't hide the fact that I would be interested in it," Taylor told Sky Sports News. "I think people from Hull City understand that as well.

"When I was first appointed under-21 manager by Glenn Hoddle in the mid-90s, I never thought I would be in that job to take over from the senior manager.

"But I know that other countries promote from within, and I am a little bit older than I was when I began doing the job.

"In that respect, I understand why my name might be mentioned, and I have dealt with a lot of the players."

Problem is Taylor's disastrous spell at Leicester really stemmed from his inability to delve into the transfer market successfully. This wouldn't be an issue at England level and like it or not, he has got the U21s playing well. So while I personally wouldn't want him as England manager for obvious reasons, you can see why people would.

Archived