Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Molson Canadian

Riordan flattered by interest

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=36...1&clid=58&cpid=

Hibernian's highly-sought after striker Derek Riordan admits the interest in him is flattering but, for the time being, at least, he insists he is happy to remain at Easter Road.

Riordan was the subject of two bids from Rangers during the January transfer window but, with interest from the continent also hotting up, the Scotland international believes it is an acknowledgement of his fine recent form.

Hibs, one of The SPL's surprise packages, defeated The Gers 3-0 in the Scottish Cup on Saturday, and after another assured performance from Riordan - this time as a second half substitute - the 23-year-old claims he is unfazed by talk of a transfer.

"The transfer window slammed shut last week and no-one was happier than me as it meant I was still a Hibee," Riordan told the Daily Record.

"People might think my emotions were all over the place after the club rejected two bids from Rangers, while both Kaiserslautern and Lokomotiv Moscow also posted their interest.

"But...let's face it, everything going on was out of my control to some extent, so there was no point getting too worked up.

"It's a compliment to how well I've done at Hibs that clubs were bidding for me and a real confidence booster."

Riordan cannot hide his admiration for under-fire Gers manager Alex McLeish but insists his focus is on bringing success to Tony Mowbray's Hibs.

"Everyone knows about the interest from my former boss Alex McLeish which is very flattering while the prospect of going abroad appeals," added Riordan.

"But all that is for the future because my only focus just now, as it has been all season, is playing and scoring goals for Hibs."

I think we were linked with a move for him before. Is it just wishfull thinking on my part does anyone else think we could make a bid for him ?

I think we were linked with a move for him before. Is it just wishfull thinking on my part does anyone else think we could make a bid for him ?

We were "linked" with him in some people's heads, as we were with Kris Boyd (formerly at Killie) - who went to Rangers. With Kaiserslautern, Lokomotiv (where O'Connor went) and Rangers sniffing around, I'd say we'd be at the bottom of that list.

Without the jock influence, I don't think we'll be going after him anyway.

It was the SPL obsession that linked us primarily, now that he's gone it seems a lot less likely. Lower English league players are where we'll be looking now most likely.

Archived