Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jonbluefox9

Where Will The Cost Cutting End?

My Mum and sister received a letter today telling them that the club are only willing to pay for a maximum of 14 St Johns people at every home match next season even though the minimum you are meant to have at games is one for every thousand spectators.

They get paid about £5 per game each but have been told that the club will only pay for 14 at most. They aren't bothered about the money but they've been told they can still get in for free if in uniform and helping out but on a no-pay basis.

What worries me is the fact that the club is making yet more cutbacks. I don't know whether it's because they're trying to look after the pennies or because they are searching for every possible way to save money because we're struggling to keep our heads above water.

I heard a story a few weeks back that said the club have stopped letting the people who clean the changing rooms after a match taking any left over drinks that are put out for the visiting team. Instead, the club collect them in and use them the following matchday. I don't know whether it's a good thing that we're being more careful or a worrying sign. :unsure:

Both, probably. There's no argument to be had with a bit of good husbandry though. Why should the cleaners get freebies? It's typical of football clubs in general that everyone that works at one thinks they can get a piece of the action. It starts in the board room and works down.

Health and safety should be paramount though. In the event of fans collapsing holding their faces and screaming, "Oh God! My eyes, MY EYES, the football....it's unbearable!!!", who will be left to lead them to safety of the first-aid tent?

Both, probably. There's no argument to be had with a bit of good husbandry though. Why should the cleaners get freebies? It's typical of football clubs in general that everyone that works at one thinks they can get a piece of the action. It starts in the board room and works down.

Health and safety should be paramount though. In the event of fans collapsing holding their faces and screaming, "Oh God! My eyes, MY EYES, the football....it's unbearable!!!", who will be left to lead them to safety of the first-aid tent?

I'll tell you who won't, a first aider who's not there, that's who.

Or a blind person.

Yeah, I can understand the cleaners thing too, but the St Johns one is a bit more worrying. If the club is starting to make cut backs where health & safety is involved it makes me think they're running out of things to stop paying for. Having said that some of the St Johns do hardly anything all game and get paid for it. Maybe they should pay them only if they actually help to save someone's life... :whistle:

I think saying "We're not bothered about the money" may have been a bit of a schoolboy error on their part.

I'm confused about the St.John's Ambulance thing now. If they actually have to be there, surely they can pretty much charge what they like, like the police?

so if i go dressed in a St. Johns Amblucance kit then i am going to get in for free? :D

If you're one of the first 14 in the ground, they'll give you £5 too!

Back on topic, do the SJA get a collection at the ground at all? This might be a way for the club to "give a bit back", without it actually costing them anything?

Or they could organise for a past-it old huffer to shamble his way round a few laps of the ground for charity before the last home match. If Mark De Vries is lucky, the Birch may even join him for a lap or two.

I think saying "We're not bothered about the money" may have been a bit of a schoolboy error on their part.

I'm confused about the St.John's Ambulance thing now. If they actually have to be there, surely they can pretty much charge what they like, like the police?

:D Like they've told the club that they're not bothered!! They would do it for free but there's a fair few that do it just for the money and if they weren't being paid they wouldn't go. There's some kind of limit of how much you can earn through duties but one woman is basically living off what she earns through doing things like Download Festival and race meets at Mallory Park and Donnington. She goes on about how much she's earned through St Johns all the time.

one woman is basically living off what she earns through doing things like Download Festival and race meets at Mallory Park and Donnington. She goes on about how much she's earned through St Johns all the time.

Is this usual?

I understand that SJA is a charity and a non-profit making company - and they do a damn good job, but is she paid a wage by SJA??? I thought that despite their skill and dedication, they were volunteers.

Just curious.

I don't know but there must be a hell of a lot of blind people there.

It must be awash with people wearing uncoordinated outfits. A bit like Milton Keynes I suppose.

I've never been to Milton Keynes - should this go on my things-to-do list?

why dont they put all the reserves and Sylla /MARK DV in saint johns outfits when they are not selected for the 16 on the day that would boost the numbers by 11.

On a serious note, I doubt if the club is allowed to run matches if there is not adeqaute cover for health and safety.

Foxestrust get the answers on this, as I will return my season ticket if my health and safety is being compromised

Yeah, I can understand the cleaners thing too, but the St Johns one is a bit more worrying. If the club is starting to make cut backs where health & safety is involved it makes me think they're running out of things to stop paying for. Having said that some of the St Johns do hardly anything all game and get paid for it. Maybe they should pay them only if they actually help to save someone's life... :whistle:

Maybe the players should get paid when they win... :whistle:

Archived