lookwhaticando Posted 17 November 2006 Posted 17 November 2006 <-- 30 page international trade (economics) paper. Anyone else have to write such a huge pile of fluff in the recent past, present or future? I usually struggle to write 1000 words, let alone 30 pages. At least I still have over a week to do it.
Nationwider Posted 17 November 2006 Posted 17 November 2006 <-- 30 page international trade (economics) paper. Anyone else have to write such a huge pile of fluff in the recent past, present or future? I usually struggle to write 1000 papers, let alone 30 pages. At least I still have over a week to do it. Arial Black 72pt makes that essay just fly by! Use A5 paper and you're laughing. Bon chance, as they say....
coale39 Posted 17 November 2006 Posted 17 November 2006 <-- 30 page international trade (economics) paper. Anyone else have to write such a huge pile of fluff in the recent past, present or future? I usually struggle to write 1000 papers, let alone 30 pages. At least I still have over a week to do it. Yeah i do economics. Its so boring!!
lookwhaticando Posted 17 November 2006 Author Posted 17 November 2006 Arial Black 72pt makes that essay just fly by! Use A5 paper and you're laughing. Bon chance, as they say.... I did give it some thought, but apparently our rhombus of a professor wasn't very accommodating when someone handed such a paper in for review last week. Yeah i do economics. Its so boring!! I used to do a minor in Economics, but it bored the arse off me so I dropped it. The only reason I'm doing international trade is because I need more second year and higher credits in Social Sciences - which Economics is classed as. At least it's a more acceptable type of economics class because the professor is a bit funny in many senses of the word (he's a problem with pronunciation... or possibly has a slight lisp) and there's no buttock-clenchingly piss-poor theory stuff being done, it's mostly anecdotal.
cisono Posted 18 November 2006 Posted 18 November 2006 <-- 30 page international trade (economics) paper. Anyone else have to write such a huge pile of fluff in the recent past, present or future? I usually struggle to write 1000 papers, let alone 30 pages. At least I still have over a week to do it. Did you mean 1000 words? I recently had to write an assignment which turned out to be 57 pages (18,000 words). (There was no word limit/target). Not doing that again! It took bloody ages!
lookwhaticando Posted 18 November 2006 Author Posted 18 November 2006 Did you mean 1000 words? I recently had to write an assignment which turned out to be 57 pages (18,000 words). (There was no word limit/target). Not doing that again! It took bloody ages! Yes.. I meant words. It was late, a mistake was inevitable.
cisono Posted 18 November 2006 Posted 18 November 2006 Yes.. I meant words. It was late, a mistake was inevitable. I think your subconscious was focusing on writing lots of papers
lookwhaticando Posted 18 November 2006 Author Posted 18 November 2006 I think your subconscious was focusing on writing lots of papers I did have papers on the mind.
lcfc_jme Posted 18 November 2006 Posted 18 November 2006 I did have papers on the mind. That's not all one presumes Anyhoo matey, I do not envy you in the slightest... Maybe it'll stop you posting so much on here and actually make you do some work
lcfc_jme Posted 18 November 2006 Posted 18 November 2006 Fat chance. Reckon you can balance the two then do ya? Things like that need full care and attention in order to be completed highly successfully. Failure is not an option looky, do the right thing
lookwhaticando Posted 18 November 2006 Author Posted 18 November 2006 Reckon you can balance the two then do ya? Things like that need full care and attention in order to be completed highly successfully. Failure is not an option looky, do the right thing Failure is not a risk here. It's economics.
lcfc_jme Posted 18 November 2006 Posted 18 November 2006 Failure is not a risk here. It's economics. I'm not sure I understand at this late hour of evening This either makes me tired. Stupid. Or both
cisono Posted 18 November 2006 Posted 18 November 2006 Failure is not a risk here. It's economics. Hmm I would have thought the opposite?!?!
lookwhaticando Posted 18 November 2006 Author Posted 18 November 2006 Hmm I would have thought the opposite?!?! How so?
lcfc_jme Posted 18 November 2006 Posted 18 November 2006 How so? A better how is "How far into this paper are you??"
cisono Posted 18 November 2006 Posted 18 November 2006 How so? Risk (and its management) is part of any economy... isn't it?
lcfc_jme Posted 18 November 2006 Posted 18 November 2006 Risk (and its management) is part of any economy... isn't it? You might as well go ahead and include assessment in that as well. As in risk assessment. Looker are you sure you're doing economics
Stuliasz Posted 18 November 2006 Posted 18 November 2006 <-- 30 page international trade (economics) paper. Anyone else have to write such a huge pile of fluff in the recent past, present or future? I usually struggle to write 1000 words, let alone 30 pages. At least I still have over a week to do it. I'm in the same boat mate, got a similar amount of pages to do for my comp sci dissertation the first part being due a week on Monday (around 25 pages). Got a topic that I have zero interest in too. How can I pick six choices and get none of them? Just because the person picking the topics was the tutor who I fell out with a few months earlier, get he got his own back and it could cost me my degree
lookwhaticando Posted 19 November 2006 Author Posted 19 November 2006 Risk (and its management) is part of any economy... isn't it? I meant entirely in the context of writing an economics paper. Economics papers of this form are almost entirely down to analysis of the problem and producing an opinionated interpretation. You can't fail if your paper is essentially just an opinion - they can't fail you for an opinion, so long as your background work is sound enough, which mine is. I'm in the same boat mate, got a similar amount of pages to do for my comp sci dissertation the first part being due a week on Monday (around 25 pages). Got a topic that I have zero interest in too. How can I pick six choices and get none of them? Just because the person picking the topics was the tutor who I fell out with a few months earlier, get he got his own back and it could cost me my degree W*nker. Mine's due a week on Monday, and I'm over a third done. I have a more pressing issue though... I created a regression program for statistics, I ran it, copied the output and emailed it to myself to print at home - the output I would then interpret and complete an assignment on. Turns out, thanks to my ignorance of the questions on the assignment, I've missed a significant chunk of work on Question 1 - I now need to go in first thing on Monday to rewrite additional bits to the program, run it again, print the extra pages then finish the remaining bits of the assignment. The assignment is due in class - i.e. before 10am. The computer lab won't be open until 8:30 (when class also begins) - so I must miss a class to complete the assignment. Brill!
cisono Posted 19 November 2006 Posted 19 November 2006 I'm in the same boat mate, got a similar amount of pages to do for my comp sci dissertation the first part being due a week on Monday (around 25 pages). Got a topic that I have zero interest in too. How can I pick six choices and get none of them? Just because the person picking the topics was the tutor who I fell out with a few months earlier, get he got his own back and it could cost me my degree It is always hard to work on a topic you have no interest in (trust me, I should know...). Could you not have kindly asked for another option/topic? Unfortunately, it is always a good idea NOT to fall out with your tutors
cisono Posted 19 November 2006 Posted 19 November 2006 I meant entirely in the context of writing an economics paper. Economics papers of this form are almost entirely down to analysis of the problem and producing an opinionated interpretation. You can't fail if your paper is essentially just an opinion - they can't fail you for an opinion, so long as your background work is sound enough, which mine is. Well, it would be if you had all of the bits you mention. Good luck getting that stuff on Monday! PS: Do you not have 24/7 access to the labs?
Stuliasz Posted 19 November 2006 Posted 19 November 2006 It is always hard to work on a topic you have no interest in (trust me, I should know...). Could you not have kindly asked for another option/topic? Unfortunately the way they do it, it's not really possible. They give you a list of topics and everyone picks their six favourites. After getting none of those, the people such as me who got none of their choices for some reason get allocated to one of the projects that is left ie the undesirable ones. With having little interest in the course any more, I found it difficult to pick six 'interesting' choices myself let alone having someone else allocate one to me Unfortunately, it is always a good idea NOT to fall out with your tutors Basically it was because I told him I was going to Australia at a time when I knew I was going to receive some resit coursework so I was asking about the options open to me in terms of receiving the coursework so I could do it while I was out there (which in the end I did and it wasn't easy at all to work on functional programming when you're travelling round places like Oz) and he basically went off on one sending me a very rude e-mail which included an implication that I should quit by saying 'there are plenty of people who do well in life without a degree in Computer Science'! I mean you don't say that to someone who is asking you for help unless you are an arrogant a-hole.
cisono Posted 19 November 2006 Posted 19 November 2006 Basically it was because I told him I was going to Australia at a time when I knew I was going to receive some resit coursework so I was asking about the options open to me in terms of receiving the coursework so I could do it while I was out there (which in the end I did and it wasn't easy at all to work on functional programming when you're travelling round places like Oz) and he basically went off on one sending me a very rude e-mail which included an implication that I should quit by saying 'there are plenty of people who do well in life without a degree in Computer Science'! I mean you don't say that to someone who is asking you for help unless you are an arrogant a-hole. I guess he felt that you did not seem to give your degree enough priority in your life. And he probably did not believe you when you offered to work on functional programming while travelling. Hence your tutor's attitude... (of course, even so, your tutor should not have reacted like that). Hmm nah, functional programming is never easy to get into, let alone while travelling!!! PS: Although I appear to be (too?) tolerant with regards to your tutor's behaviour, I do understand your complaint and will go as far as to say that similar reasons have led me to say bye bye to my PhD work in a computing-related area...
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.