Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
johnoldl

filbert street circa 1945...

my dad tells me that filbert street hosted a gymkhana on the pitch at filbert street some time in the mid 1940s. no one believes him as they reckon the pitch would've been wrecked but he is adamant that he saw it so can anyone out there confirm that this actually happened...if only to shut him up!

my dad tells me that filbert street hosted a gymkhana on the pitch at filbert street some time in the mid 1940s. no one believes him as they reckon the pitch would've been wrecked but he is adamant that he saw it so can anyone out there confirm that this actually happened...if only to shut him up!

We still do em. Haven't you seen opposition players jump when Danny Boy ploughs into em from a 20-yard run-up. The bloke that holds the numbers up on the touchline records his fault count. :whistle:

I remember them doing the Horse of the Year show before the cup final one year - that wrecked the pitch.

No reason to doubt your dad, johnoldi. Filbert Street was a venue for many extra curricular events both during and immediately after the war particularly duing the close season. For many seasons a local farmer even grazed his sheep on the pitch (tis true I kid ye not!).

You may recall last winter that the pitch at the Walkers looked a little bald despite the herculean efforts of ground staff. This was due to the unusual inclement weather. Multiply that by ooh a factor of ten and you might have some idea of what winters were like in the 40's and what pitches must have looked like (a great bog from goal mouth to goal mouth with a sliver of green on the flanks). No matter how welll tended the ol' filbo pitch was in the summer it still looked like The Somme come January so there was little point in trying to recreate the manicured 18th green at Troon.

Some posters may even remember regular training session held at Filbo under that ruddy great weather tent as recently as the 1980's...

Don't know about a gymkhana but the pitch was ripped up and relaid with new drainage in 1948 because it had become a "glutinous mess" in recent years. Maybe something happened before they ripped it up.

Archived