Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Daggers

H A P P Y

From the journal Scientific American:

Harvard psychologist Daniel Gilbert goes deeper into our psyches in Stumbling on Happiness (Knopf, 2006), in which he claims, "The human being is the only animal that thinks about the future." Much of our happiness depends on projecting what will make us happy (instead of what actually does), and Gilbert shows that we are not very good at this forethought. Most of us imagine that variety is the spice of life, for example. But in an experiment in which subjects anticipated that they would prefer an assortment of snacks, when it actually came to eating the snacks week after week, subjects in the no-variety group said that they were more satisfied than the subjects in the variety group. "Wonderful things are especially wonderful the first time they happen," Gilbert explains, "but their wonderfulness wanes with repetition."

So, you see, the reason we are narked with Kelly is down to us being biologically programmed to get bored of repetition and want to think that change will be coming in the future.

This habituation to even a multiplicity of wonderfulness is what economists call "declining marginal utility" and married couples call life.

I wonder how long it will be before people start getting bored with Mandy?

Kelly added: "That game can't come quickly enough for us. We will suffer tonight before we get back to work on Sunday when we will try and put it right."

Godammit Kelly - declining marginal utility, man. Declining marginal utility. Start giving us something different during post-match interviews and we'll all be a lot happier.

Godammit Kelly - declining marginal utility, man. Declining marginal utility. Start giving us something different during post-match interviews and we'll all be a lot happier.

I'd prefer it if he just gave the first team a right bollocking from time to time.

Preferably when they've been about as useful as a bunch of grapes on the pitch. :whistle:

I'd prefer it if he just gave the first team a right bollocking from time to time.

Preferably when they've been about as useful as a bunch of grapes on the pitch. :whistle:

He'd lose his voice...

Grapes are more useful to be fair - you can make wine with them.

Archived