Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Cal

Players to keep?

im certainly looking forward to next season, hopefully we will have a lot of new talent by this point, and some good quality leaders within the side. players to stay should be :

stearmen

fryatt

hume

mcauley

kisnorbo

weso

mattock

dodds

sheehan

logan

i think danny cad has potential so keep

nils

porter

there are probably more id keep to, but there are the top priorities in my opinion. id like to see a new CM in to support Weso in there, and a new RM probably a decnt LB and a new striker. i think the rest of the team is reasonably soild and with better players around them will make a quality side.

Get the sense you might be looking for a new keeper or two as well... and that is all to the good, overall I'd agree, though i wouldnt place Porter and Nissa as top priorities to keep, though Nissa as a squad player makes sense and Porter maybe (then again Jarvis can play on both the left and the right :whistle::thumbup: ).

Players to keep:

GOALKEEPERS - Logan, Hendo, Rab (as coach)

DEFENDERS - McAuley, Kisnorbo, McCarthy, Johansson, Stearman

MIDFIELDERS - Porter, Wesolowski, Newton (sign on permananent), Mattock

STRIKERS - Fryatt, Cadamarteri (Full-time contract)

Obviously I would keep all of the youth lads like Odhiambo e.t.c

I'm not so sure that we will see the mass clearout we all might want.

First most of them are in contract until at least June 2008 and paying off contracts is not a cheap option but simply uses up money we could use to bring in other players.

secondly having a mass clear out might not lead to improved team cohesion. After al the last 3 seasons ought to prove that if nothing else.

thirdly we have to concentrate on our weaknesses. the first of those is scoring goals. If we want to get out of this league we have to be able to score around 65-70 goals. thus we probably need 2 new strikers.

midfield is dreadful. However, with tiatto leaving and two loanees both probably not worth keeping then getting rid of hughes and weslowski as some have suggested would mean a complete new midfield and backup so probably 6 players just for midfield.

defence for me is also an issue. we concede far to many goals from set pieces and do not have a proven quality left back in the squad. Though both kisnorbo and mccauley have done well they are too often out muscled and so imo we need a new centre back to cope with some of the more physical teams (eg QPR).

so with all the loanees gong plus tiatto and probably nissa i'm not sure how many more will leave especially as Milan has stated that he will be looking to increase the wage:income ratio i suspect he will be going for quality and not quantity and use the current squad more as back up.

I'm not so sure that we will see the mass clearout we all might want.

First most of them are in contract until at least June 2008 and paying off contracts is not a cheap option but simply uses up money we could use to bring in other players.

secondly having a mass clear out might not lead to improved team cohesion. After al the last 3 seasons ought to prove that if nothing else.

thirdly we have to concentrate on our weaknesses. the first of those is scoring goals. If we want to get out of this league we have to be able to score around 65-70 goals. thus we probably need 2 new strikers.

midfield is dreadful. However, with tiatto leaving and two loanees both probably not worth keeping then getting rid of hughes and weslowski as some have suggested would mean a complete new midfield and backup so probably 6 players just for midfield.

defence for me is also an issue. we concede far to many goals from set pieces and do not have a proven quality left back in the squad. Though both kisnorbo and mccauley have done well they are too often out muscled and so imo we need a new centre back to cope with some of the more physical teams (eg QPR).

so with all the loanees gong plus tiatto and probably nissa i'm not sure how many more will leave especially as Milan has stated that he will be looking to increase the wage:income ratio i suspect he will be going for quality and not quantity and use the current squad more as back up.

We've had next to no "cohesion" for two or more years now, though since Wortho came in things have improved on that score... i think we'll be getting rid of a fair few, then again i think some players will be retained because it'll cost to get rid of them and they could still have worth as "squad" players even if their ability is somewhat suspect... also not sure that anyone has suggested dropping Weso!?

Archived