Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Rocky Dennis

Weso

No question. He, more than anyone, dictates that we play the ball to feet and surely as our team develops we will add others, like Mattock who do the same. I just wish it hadn't taken the club two years and more to start promoting that sort of football.

The big things about Wesolowski are his industry, his accuracy and his inclination to do the simple thing. But above all he's got brains - and tends to make the right decisions.

Interesting to hear Mattock being talked of as a star too. To me he simply had a good, solid game yesterday, rather than being outstanding. But while he might stand out a bit in the first team he's no special star in the Academy. He plays consistently well, no question.

But there are others catch the eye just as much.

lol

Interested to hear people's opinion on Weso - particularly as the season is over and everyone is formulating their plans for personnel for next season.

I rate Wes but I must say I haven't been particularly blown away by his performances this season (Villa in the cup aside). I know he's come back from serious injury and has largely been surrounded by muppets in one of the worst midfields I can remember in the club's history, but seriously is he good enough to build our midfield around next season? I know he brings great energy and 'hustling' ability in midfield but I'm still not convinced about his distribution and he doesn't seem to contribute that much going forward? I know I'll probably get lynched for saying this but can you point out where I'm going wrong (e.g. When I said Andy Johnson was pathetic about 3 games into the season and was ever so justifiably corrected when told that I needed to think of him more as a DMC than an AMC - yeah right fool)

Interested to hear people's opinion on Weso - particularly as the season is over and everyone is formulating their plans for personnel for next season.

I rate Wes but I must say I haven't been particularly blown away by his performances this season (Villa in the cup aside). I know he's come back from serious injury and has largely been surrounded by muppets in one of the worst midfields I can remember in the club's history, but seriously is he good enough to build our midfield around next season? I know he brings great energy and 'hustling' ability in midfield but I'm still not convinced about his distribution and he doesn't seem to contribute that much going forward? I know I'll probably get lynched for saying this but can you point out where I'm going wrong (e.g. When I said Andy Johnson was pathetic about 3 games into the season and was ever so justifiably corrected when told that I needed to think of him more as a DMC than an AMC - yeah right fool)

I think if you were going to compare him to a top-level player it would be someone like Owen Hargreaves. Ticking the midfield over, making sure there is a presence there. Great when you're under the cosh and you need someone to get into the opposition, like Weso did in the Villa Cup game - has gone missing a couple of times this season against lesser opponents when the onus has been on ourselves to get the game by the scruff of its neck, notably against Colchester at home if I recall correctly.

Obviously you were quite rightly corrected on your confusion over DMCs and AMCs (standing and pointing where the ball has to go while flicking your hair around and being a smashing lad are three key components of the modern day defensive midfielder). Joking aside, we haven't had a proper defensive or attacking central midfielder since McKinlay and Izzet formed the basis for our promotion season in 2002/3. Players like Hughes, Williams, Gudjonsson, Jarrett, Tiatto and even Wesolowski have never shown the ability to control a game in the same way that a certain ginger lad from Northern Ireland did once or twice a few years back (it seems impossible to moan about our midfield without mentioning him) or the same goalscoring and creative threat that a certain Turkish Mockney wideboy always did. Our most effective players out of those six have been Gudjonsson and Wesolowski in my opinion - not particularly defensive or attacking midfielders as such but combative, box-to-box, all-action players. If we can pick up another decent player along these lines as well as someone who offers a goal threat, then we will start to have a midfield to build a team around.

think a few people here have weso-tinted specs on. he's a good player - certainly one to keep, but he's not as good as people are making out. in fact i think he was better before his 2nd leg break (which is not suprising and fair enough on the lad). bar aston villa i haven;t been that impressed with him this season.

still, he has loads of potential and his partners in the centre of midfield have been consitantly woefull. he's the best we've got in the position but there are still opposition players in this league superior to him in my view (e.g. yesterday - obviously he had no chance next to hughes and infront of a defence already on holiday, but he still didnt look great).

that said, he's still one of my fave players. which probably says a lot about our current squad

I keep harping on about age (just did so on Fryatt thread lol) but we cant send players to the rubbish heap who have shown good ability at this level and are stiill young. Building a team around Weso may be asking too much and expecting miracles from a lad who has suffered so many serious injuries is not being fair. Lets see how he goes in pre-season and next season before we make him either a Paul Scholes or Andy Johnson. He`s worth keeping for sure but players like him are seeing there progression stunted because he actually hasnt got better more experienced players around him during training. Strolling around a session with Hughes, AJ, Tiatto and Low at the start of the season would hardly better him as a player as he wouldnt learn fook all.

Archived