Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MBK

Recycled News

Worthington Puts Club Before Country

Tue 22 May, 11:09 PM

Nigel Worthington insists he has not applied for the vacant Northern Ireland manager's job, preferring to hold out for news from Leicester chairman Milan Mandaric.

The former Norwich boss guided the Foxes to safety last season after being brought in by Mandaric on a temporary basis, charged with keeping Leicester in the Coca-Cola Championship.

He achieved safety and registered his interest in the job long-term.

However, he has yet to hear back from the club despite Mandaric stating Worthington featured on a shortlist of candidates which also includes Neil Warnock and current favourite Martin Allen.

The former Northern Ireland international is still interested in the Walkers Stadium role and admitted that while he would one day like to manage his country, he is keen to focus on club football for now rather than succeed Lawrie Sanchez.

"I've not applied for the Northern Ireland job in any way, shape or form," he said.

"Club management is my priority. At some stage, I would love to manage Northern Ireland because to work for your country is always a source of great pride.

"At this moment in time, number one would be to get back into club management and, if at any stage I could help Northern Ireland then I'd always be willing to do so."

Worthington achieved the goals he was set by Mandaric, who bought the club last season, but is waiting for news on the permanent role.

"There's nothing I can report at this moment in time," he said.

"There's talk about different people. I'm waiting to see what the outcome is.

"I am interested. I had a month there which I enjoyed, I fulfilled the brief the chairman gave me.

"The club itself is a magnificent club and with the chairman there who is ambitious and prepared to spend some money, it would be a great opportunity to go back in."

"The last time I spoke to the chairman was the end of the season, after the last game.

"The brief was five games, go in and try to keep club in the Championship, which I achieved. And that was it, I stated to him I would be very interested in the position of manager if it was available."

He may have acheived his brief but he didn't excel it. Therefore he ruled himself out with the results. We lost all three home games with him in charge.

Archived